Milmine, Geo. R. (ed.) / Racine advocate city and county residence and business directory of Racine, Wisconsin
History of Racine, pp. -12 ff. PDF (2.1 MB)
HISTORY OF RACINE. On the west shore of Lake Michigan, twenty-three miles south of Milwaukee, and sixty two miles north of Chicago, lies the city of Racine. As it justly deserves, it has been christened, and is universal- ly known as the "BELLE CITY OF THE LAKES," not on account, as many may suppose, of the fair maidens residing there, (and they are numerous), but from the fact that it is, without exception, the most beautiful city in the northwest. The grounds upon which the city is built are of undulating surface, with ravins and groves of natural growth. It is situated at the mouth of Root river, the improvement of which has given to the city one of the best harbors on the Lake Michigan Capt. GILBERT KNAPP was the first white settler who put in an appearance at this point, coming from Chicago on horse-back in No- vember, 1834. He was accompanied by two men in his employ, one of whom was Wm. Luse. From Skunk Grove, where at the time was located a traveling post with a French trader by the name of Jam- beau at the head, he was piloted by an Indian to the mouth of the river. Soon after his arrival, with the assistance of his men,.he erect- ed a log cabin near where the Miner &. Company sash, door and blind factory now stands. He made a claim to all the lands comprised in the original plat of Racine, containing about 14o acres. During the following winter Capt. Knapp left, returning again in April, x835.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain. Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (email@example.com).