University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life

[Lauderdale Lakes],   p. 100 PDF (385.6 KB)

Page 100

Reprinted in part with permission of Ginny
Hall, author of "Meandering Around
Walworth County"
The   lakes were    named    for James
Lauderdale. He built the first real home on
the lake in 1842.
James was born in New York. He came to
this area in 1841 along with his wife's broth-
er and cousin. Each man bought 160 acres
of land at the Homestead Act price of
$1.25 per acre. Lauderdale's property cov-
ered a lot of the shoreline of Green, Middle
and Mill lakes (these comprise the
Lauderdale Lakes). Actually the current
name was not applied to the area until
James' cousin, James Lauderdale, bought
the mill and added a Post Office.
James, his wife's brother and cousin
returned to New York for their families and
returned in September of 1842, While they
stayed in a nearby tavern, James built his
log cabin on the shoreline. He used roof
boards which were sawed at Bigelow's
Mrs. Lauderdale did not like living right next
to the lake. In 1855 her husband built a larg-
er, more modern house next to the road,
this time the lumber was hauled from
James served as town supervisor for many
years and two terms in the state Assembly.
area so you can learn more about its
historic site, get a glimpse of the lake and
avoid some of the highway traffic. This road
formerly led to the Sterlingworth Hotel, the
second hotel built on the Lauderdale
Mr. John E. Wheeler from Chicago bought
the shoreline property and began building
in 1893. The original hotel was four stories.
Later the top floor was removed. At first it
was used only in the summer, there was no
heat in the building. Kerosene lamps and
candles provided light. After the mill was
removed from the area, a hydroelectric
generator provided power until public
electricity came to the area,
Danny Seymour was the last owner of the
Sterlingworth Hotel,

Go up to Top of Page