University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life

[Springfield],   p. 92 PDF (512.7 KB)

Page 92

The little village of Springfield owes its exis-
tence to the building of the Racine and
Mississippi Railroad which passed through
that area in the year 1855. In 1839, Edward
Warren came from the East with his family,
shortly thereafter was William B. Rose from
New York, Arnold Weeks, John Neild, Peter
Orell and Joseph Dykeman.
Charles F. Schinke, born 1874, came to
America in 1888 from an area near Berlin,
Germany. In 1894, he managed the
creamery at Bowers, Wisconsin and in
September 1905, he purchased the
"Farmers   Creamery"     in  Springfield,
Wisconsin. The new creamery, built in 1917,
was the first creamery in the state to use
both steam and electric power. His sons,
Vernon, Walter, and Warren were part of
the family venture. Walter C. Schinke, born
in 1913, graduated from UW-Madison in
1942, returned from WWII in 1945 and
worked at the creamery unit until it closed
in 1959. He returned to college, taught for
twenty-three years and was active in the
community as a lay leader and Sunday
School teacher in the United Methodist
Church and sexton in the Springfield Union
Cemetery for over fifty years until his pass-
ing on May 22, 1997.
St. John's Mission Chapel was organized by
the Episcopalians in 1861 with this quaint
church built in 1865. Kym and Steve
Davidson and Barb Moyer, well known in
the antique and garden business are reno-
vating the "Little Church" with intentions of
residing there and opening "Pray For More
Stuff' Antiques and "The Pastor's Posies" in
Also near Springfield is Northwinds Perennial
Farm. Well known for creativity in the gar-
den using plants, garden ornaments,
planters and unique gifts, antiques and
garden tools, it is open mid-April through
                         Helen E. Schinke
                                              " happiest moments
have been spent in
                                              my garden."
  Tasha Tudor

Go up to Top of Page