Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[Antique houses], pp. 32-33 PDF (879.3 KB)
Built by Abial Whitman in 1847, this home has been better known as the Belden House. Whitman never lived in the house. He was one of several from Rochester lured to the California gold fields. He made a fortune in the grocery business, but died on the return trip home. His widow, Aurilia Farr Whitman Brown, willed the house to her 10 year old step-grandson, later Judge Ellsworth Burnett Belden, in 1876. Though the interior later was remodeled it still boasts hand hewn laths and wooden pegs. Present owner is Mrs. Robert Belden. It is thought this house is about 145 years old. Believed to be the home of Dr. George F, Newell, Sr., who had a practice in Rochester during an unnamed epidemic in 1862, which claimed many lives. Now owned by Ken Wienke, also the former proprietor of the filling station next door. Down the hill is a red brick house tagged as a Cady house. Henry Cady operated a drug store and confectionary and was Postmaster for many years. Grey and Marge Abendroth, present owners in doing research found the house is made of St. Louis brick, brought all the way from the Mississippi. Many houses along the Mississippi are made of this brick. The boyhood home of Clarence "Ginger' Beaumont. He put Rochester in the news when he made the Wisconsin Hall of Fame as a baseball player. He hit .357 in 1902 for the Pittsburgh Pirates to lead the National League. Present owners are the James Radewans. Eileen Albright SPONSORED BY ROCHESTER HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMITTEE
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (firstname.lastname@example.org).