Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[Agricultural School], p. 29 PDF (419.1 KB)
Racine County School of Agriculture and Domestic Economy opened in November of 1912. It closed as Ag School in 1957 with forty-five dedicated years of service to the students and people of Racine County. It had facilities for all sorts of agricultural training, such as milk testing and judging cattle, sheep, poultry, horses and swine. Shop classes including carpentry, mechan- ical drawing and iron work in the forge room. Work with beekeeping and orchard work including pruning and setting out fruit trees was Mr. Klumb's specialty. Mr. Dittbrenner was the ag teacher and foot- ball coach for many years. Valdemer Beers taught woodworking and was the basket- ball and baseball coach from 1912 to 1947. The school had great classes in typing, shorthand and bookkeeping along with its very fine home economics department. This enabled the young ladies of Ag School to use their new found skills in the business world almost as soon as they graduated. Miss Orlicky was one of their teachers. Miss Laughton was one of the Ag Schools very fine English and History teachers. Ag School also had a band, one of its directors was John Meyer, a man who could play three or four band instruments. Mr. Polley was Superintendent serving longer than anyone else in that capacity. Some of the "Aggies" coming from afar stayed at the dormitory. It was built in 1918 by Burlington building contractor, Olaf Hoganson. The dorm served the students and the school from that time until the school closed in 1957. All of Ag Schools many students are forever thankful and grateful for these dedicated people that helped us over life's sometimes bumpy trail. Wendell E. Earle 29
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (email@example.com).