Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[Avery A. Hoyt house], p. 17 PDF (361.5 KB)
John E. Hopkins purchased the land from the United States Government March 6, 1839. He sold it to Gilman H. Hoyt March 30, 1840 and Mr Hoyt in turn sold it to John Crego, Sr. in 1846. As near as we can tell by the abstract, the house was built by Lura Crego Comstack about 1863 and was in the Crego family until April 24, 1873 and then it was sold to Avery A. Hoyt. Sam Fredrickson bought the house July 10, 1906 and sold it to Delbert Harden October 9, 1909. It was purchased by Orlie and Mae Miller February 26, 1916 and July 14, 1960 by their daughter and son-in-law, Nancy and Arthur Goetsch, who reside there today. Avery Atkins Hoyt, 1824-1906 came to Honey Creek at the age of 13 through an early winter storm in October. At fifteen, he worked for John Hopkins and at seventeen bought his first forty acres. He married Carolina Hoyt, daughter of Tristan C. Hoyt in 1847 and they were important and active people. Avery Hoyt is credited with plant- ing 1000 sugar maple trees along the roads from 1845 to 1860. Honey Creek is a special place every fall with these ancient trees in full color. Nancy and Arthur Goetsch APPLIANCE REPAIR 17
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (firstname.lastname@example.org).