Westover, Ruth, 1910- / The Waukau Methodists, 1867-1986
Gone but not forgotten, pp. 25 ff.
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN Church sheds to shelter horses and buggies that conveyed Waukau area people to the Methodist services and social gatherings were a necessary adjustment to the church itself. They were low open sided structures next door to the general store. Land on which to build them was bought for $30.00 from Charles Steele, owner of the store next door. Men who were boys of the era reported that the narrow passage way between store and sheds was just wide enough to walk through. Leon Westover, age 90 in 1986, remembers the shed area as a good place for eveing games of hide and seek. Maynard Thompson, who lived in the apartment over the store when his stepfather Ed Erickson ran the store, liked to jump from the side porch to the shed. The area between store and church is now an open parking lot and driveway for cars. _________________ Better a little well kept, than a great deal forgotten. Bishop Hugh Latimer, fifth sermon Preached before King Edward. 25
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| Original material owned by Oshkosh Public Library.| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright