University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Westover, Ruth, 1910- / The Waukau Methodists, 1867-1986
(1986)

New beginnings,   pp. 17 ff.


Page 17


   New Beginnings
Dedication of the completed church took place at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 30, 1904.
 After a prelude by the Waukau Orchestra, the people sang, "Christ the Foundation
Stone."  Scripture was Psalm 24.  After the Gloria Patri and prayer, the
choir sang "Onward Christian Soldiers."  The Rev. C.O. Mercia gave the sermon
and the collection was a whopping $55.00.
A dedicating hymn written by Julia Reynolds was a part of the dedicating
ceremony.             
               _____________________________
The first reception in the new church was conducted by the "Aid" in spite
of inclement weather.  They prepared a supper and presented a program.
After an instrumental selection by Mrs. Abercrombie, two songs were sung
by Mr. and Mrs. Ward Mallery, assisted by Fred Alger.  A brief history of
the Ladies Aid Society was read by President Mrs. LeFevre.  Mrs. Fred Alger
read a poem, and a paper on ways the society could aid the church and the
pastor was given by Mrs. Reynolds.  After a business session the pastor closed
with a prayer.
             ______________________________
Bless all the churches, and blessed be God, who, in this our great trial,
giveth us churches.
                                         Abraham Lincoln.
                     (His reply to a Methodist delegation               
         On May 14, 1864.)

Go up to Top of Page