University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Unity, Wisconsin centennial

"Interesting bits",   p. 19

Page 19

Also of interest is the smal cannon resting in our vitlhe park. This brief -w-
count is taken from an article written by Mrs. Ernest Matson (Faith Mabbott), which
is on file at the State Historical Society in Madison.
The cannon with the following inscription No. -155-C-2-1 M was brought here
even before the village was organized. The Grand Army of the Republic obtained
the cannon from Fort Howard (near Green Bay) in 1880. Men and ox teams were
sent to bring it here. The trip was financed by local contributions.
The cannon was first mounted on wood which has deteriorated. It is now
mounted on concrete. In the early days it was used to report election results,
and on the Fourth of July by shooting three rounds at sunrise. It is now a silent
reminder of the past.
The members of the class graduating in 1954 were: Jerome Tennis, Char-
lotte Mohan Robert Johnson, Renata Johnson Gerald Hebert, Darlene Molle,
Shirley Johnson, Philip Knuf, and Darlene Rachu. This was the last class to grad-
uate from the Unity High School.
We have had fine representation on the County Boards. During the early
years Edmund Creed, J. W. Salter, and Deacon Cook were the supervisors. Later
on we had two as supervisors who each served over fifty years, they being William
Creed   on  the Clark County Board and George Cook on the Marathon County
In 1906 Ransom Brown was appointed Marathon County surveyor.
Marathon County has had four Highway Commissioners, three of them com-
ing from Unity; namely, Herman Voght, Jesse Clark, and Lyle Fuller.
We honor three married couples who have lived most of their lives here and
have now enjoyed over sixty years of wedded life. They are: Mr. and Mrs. Leonard
Nickel (65 years); Mr. and Mrs. A. W. Justman (61 years); and Mr. and Mrs.
Henry Binning (61 years).
Unity is the birthplace of two of our senior ladies: Mrs. Henry Binning (Borg-
hild Nelson), born January 23, 1890 in the house now owned by Syd Bauer; and Mrs.
B. W, Mabbott (Vera Cook), born January 29, 1901 on the Cook farm. Both have
always had "Unity, Wisconsin" as their address.
Henry Binning is our odest resident, being 89 on April 25th.
Unity Opera House (1901). The balcony was used by the band for summer
conerts The smaller building was the barber shop of Van Misner.

Go up to Top of Page