University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Unity, Wisconsin centennial
(1872-1972)

The dawn of Unity,   pp. 2-10


Page 2

THE DAWN OF UNITY
Often as we gaze upon the settlement of Unity, we naturally wonder how this
place came into existence. We do not realize how really interesting and valuable
its history actually is until we have the opportunity to read or hear about it. Most
people, particularly the younger generation are not aware of the many interesting
facts concerning their home.
We know that back in early 1871 such a place as Unity did not exist; in fact,
there were few divisions of the counties, Portage County making up almost all'of
Wisconsin. In that same year on April 1, in spite of the day, the outcome did not
prove to be such a joke as would be expected. Edmund Creed and Fritz Henry Darling
ventured into the wilderness where Unity is now situated. These men started out
from Amherst, Wisconsin on foot with their blankets, an old shotgun, and very little
food. Stopping at Stevens Point, they went to the land office where they found some
vacant plats subject to Homestead entry. Continuing on they wandered around
until they found where the Little Eau Pleine River crossed what is now the rail
road right of way. Here Mr. Creed homesteaded a 40 and Mr. Darling 160 acres
as well as marking homesteads for several friends.
Being very anxious to inform their wives of the claims they returned to
Nelsonville where Mr. Creed's young wife of twenty-two was very enthusiastic
about the conditions and location of the new territory. She persuaded Edmund to
return here to build a house, that his family might come here to settle. They then
began construction of a log house near the surveyed road. As there was no other
town between here and Stevens Point, their supplies had to be brought from there
by ox team. Mr. Creed and Mr. Darling completed this home in January of 1872.
In the spring of 1872 Mr. Creed moved his family and Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Yerks
here to take up their residence in the log cabin. No roads or railroads were yet
in existence through this county, so the families moved here from Nelsonville by
oxen and wagon. It was a long, difficult journey, but the pioneer blood in these
people would not let them give up. Of course, many hardships were encountered,
such as loss of cattle and horses but even this did not discourage them.
Shortly after the arrival of these families, Mr. Darling also returned here.
He at once set to work building a house near the Creed home that his family might
also dwell in the new region.
The surveying of a railroad had begun as a result of other chance observers
in this territory.  It was an entirely new project for the beginning of a village.
No doubt, a letter was occasionally written to old friends or relatives at home
but there were no trains or trucks to deliver them. As a result the pioneers were
satisfied with receiving and sending mail once a week by a man on horseback
journeying from Stevens Point to Superior. Of course these letters had to be
delivered to one central station so Mr. Creed took over the responsibility of
having the temporary Post Office in his home and also secured a permit to be
Postmaster. The few families that received or sent mail would thus come to the
Creed home and attend to such affairs. Naturally there were no special boxes
or even the arrangement of a post office as we see it today. The mail was merely
placed in a bag whose contents were emptied and sorted as each person called.
Gradually new settlers chanced through the region and bping quite satis-
fied with the prospects took up a dwelling place. It was growing cold and snow
had begun to fall so some of these newcomers could not begin the construc-
tion of a home. Mrs. Creed's hospitality was shown at this moment by taking
these people under her own roof. Therefore three families spent the entire win-


Go up to Top of Page