University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Salter, George H., 1826-ca. 1906 / Papers, ca. 1896-1913, 1965
Call Number, Stevens Point SC 60 ([unpublished])

"Daddy" Salter Crosses Dark River! PDF (5.7 MB)

Avenged Murder of His Wife
Killed Eighteen Indians Since '63
Last Sunday morning George Salter Sr., commonly known as "Daddy
answered the long roll call and passed away from this earth at the home of
his son George in this city.  His life was strikingly eventful and especially
since 1863.  He was a native of England and was born May 16, 1826 in the
county of Witts.  In June 1847 he was joined in marriage to Miss Elizabeth
Gilbert, of the Island of Guern-sey.  She bore him a son who died in infancy.
 One year after marriage he was run over by cars and his back broken.  his
physicians predict-ed he would die inside of twenty-four hours but he said
he would fool them, and he did.  Three months afterward he was fully recovered.
 He whipped his employer in the Islam of Guernsey because he would not pay
him wages that were due, and was arrested for it and sentenced to jail for
four days, two of which were to be spent in solitary confine-ment and two
days on bread and water.  While serving his time he and the other inmates
captured the jailor and locked him in a cell for one hour.  For this they
were thrown in a dungeon and kept over night.  They yelled and sang the whole
night thru and the next night the jail-or was glad to get rid of Salter.
 As soon as he was freed he went back to his employer and compelled him to
pay up.  He and his wife then went to Liverpool and on July 1, 1852 sailed
for America.  They went to Geneva, where his wife died two years later. 
He next went to Burlington, Wisconsin, where he married his second wife,
Miss Emma Caucutt, daughter of a Vernon County farmer.  She was murdered
by Indians in the town of Clearfield, this county July 13, 1863, six months
after they moved there.  About one year later he married Miss Elizabeth (Betty)
Caucutt, a sister to his second wife.  They lived happily together until
she died Januayr 4th, 1897.  Daddy made a steamboat trip down the Mississippi
to Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1856 and in wrestling all the way there.  June
3rd, 1856, in company with his wifes parents and family and George Carters
parents and family he started for Vernon Co. where he and Caucutts had entered
government lands.  When they got to Portage the Carters left them and came
to Clearfield.  Daddy and the rest went via Reedsburg for Vernon county.
 On the way they were overtaken by a violent thunder-storm.  Lightning struck
trees on every side of them.  Their oxen bellowed the women screamed and
"Daddy" and Caucutt swore a blue streak.  After puting
up some
log houses Salter started for Burling-ton to get married.  At a small station
the train stopped in order that the passengers could get dinner.  "Daddy's"
order was the last one to be taken by the waiter, he ordered beefsteak the
waiter brought him a small slice of roast meat.  Salter placed the whole
piece in his mouth and called for his beefsteak order.  Soon the waiter appeared
with about half a pound of steak and collected for the dinner.  Then the
conductor yelled "all aboard".  Salter was hungry, so he
his beefsteak, two fat pies, plates and all and entered the train

Go up to Top of Page