University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wisconsin. State Conservation Committee (1915-27) / Biennial report of the State Conservation Commission of Wisconsin for the years 1915 and 1916
(1916)

Interstate Park,   pp. 91-93 PDF (624.6 KB)


Page 91


BIENNIAL REPORT
arms of Louis XIV and in his name took possession of all the land
drained by the waters of the Upper Mississippi. In 1731 a fort was built
on the site of Perrot's wintering post by a representative of the French
Government.
  In recent years the State Historical Society and interested local his-
torians have succeeded in locating the site of Perrot's post of 1685, and
Linctot's fort of 1731-36.' Several hearthstones were uncovered, one with
a rude chimney; a blacksmith forge was found, and many other relics of
white occupancy. Thus, of the ten or more forts built by the French in
Wisconsin, to Trempealeau belongs the distinction of possessing the only
ones whose ruins have been certainly identified.
  Before long, under the auspices of the State Historical Society, the
mountain will be formally tendered to the State, to constitute forever one
of the most interesting spots embraced in Wisconsin's splendid system of
State Parks.
                        INTERSTATE PARK.
  This park is owned jointly by Wisconsin and Minnesota, as it lies on
both sides of the St. Croix river, which at that point, forms the boundary
between the two states. It contains 730 acres, of which 580 acres arc
owned by Wisconsin and 150 by Minnesota. This park is complete.
  The Dalles of the St. Croix are the chief features of the park. The river
flows through a narrow gorge in the Keweenawan trap rock, which at
one point rises to a height of more than 200 feet. There are several pic-
turesque rock formations, the most interesting of which are "The Old
Man of the Dalles" a remarkable profile stone face on the Wisconsin
shore,
and the "Devil's Chair," a column of rock on the Minnesota side.
A series
of pot holes, varying in diameter from one to six feet, and in depth from
one to eighty feet, are found on the banks, chiefly on the west side of the
river. These pot-holes, now to be seen high above the river, were worked
into the solid rock by the grinding action of the spherical boulders, many
of which still remain in them.
  Professor Martin, in "Physical Geography of Wisconsin," says:
  "Before the Glacial Period the upper St. Croix had a course to the
West
in Minnesota. Its middle course in the St. Croix Dalles is postglacial.
Before the Glacial Period its lower course was occupied by a short stream,
whose headwaters were the Apple River, tributary of today. The St.
Croix River was the outlet of two of the glacial lakes in the Lake Superior
basin, north of Stillwater, Minnesota, the valley is fairly wide, with
gently sloping terraced sides"  * *
  "The rock edges (at the Dalles) are ancient lava flows, of which seven
may be identified, rising like giant steps above the river. The lava or
trap, is well-jointed, so that there are vertical precipices and isolated
crags along the St. Croix river."
  The general improvement work on the park has been under the super-
vision of a park superintendent. Much of the wooded area has been cleared
of underbrush, trails and bridges have been repaired, and the dead and
down trees have been cut, from which over 43,000 feet of lumber was
91


Go up to Top of Page