Dexheimer, Florence Chambers, 1866-1925 / Sketches of Wisconsin pioneer women
Rossman, Lillian B.
Hannah Colbourn Priest, pp. 128-129 PDF (413.3 KB)
ducted, and about a dozen children attended. The serv- ices and lessons were principally in German, and the English scholars learned to read in that language and to sing "Kum Kinder Kume to Suntag Schule". This because the new settlers had not yet had time to get an English preacher. In 1845 a new log school house was built which was an improvement over the first. Through all this time the little girl herself made, or dipped all the candles for all the artificial light they needed, and made them also for many too indolent to do it for themselves. She was present with her father and grandfather at the or- ganization of the First Presbyterian Church at Freeport, and was also present at the Fiftieth anniversary or "Gold- en Jubilee" of said Church in 1892, and was at that anni- versary celebration the only remaining living person who was then present, with one exception, and was also the only one left of the eleven children who organized and at- tended the first Sunday School of that Church. In the year 1850 she was married to Samuel B. Har- ris of Freeport, a descendant of the famous John Harris of Revolutionary fame and who is buried at Harrisburg. Pa., in the State House yard. Anne Van Dyke Harris and Caroline Harris, (Mrs- William Weirick) became charter members of Beloit D. A. R. in 1896. ....................I........ ............... . .. - HANNAH COLBOURN PRIEST Author-Lillian B. Rossman Appleton Hannah Colbourn was born March 8th, 1811, in Es- sex County, New York. She married Henry Priest, June 11th, 1830. Their home was in Essex County, New York until 1846. Seven children were born there. To make a new home, they started on a canal boat going to Buffalo. From there on a Packet boat, to Chi- 128
This material may be protected by copyright law (e.g., Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright