Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
Library Mrs. Ruth Niss, conceived the idea of organizing a Mequon library. She proposed it to the members of the Mequon Club and it was well accepted. She asked several members of the Club to assist her. They asked for donations of books in good condition with interesting reading. They succeeded in receiving quite a collection of books. These were placed in the office of the Treasurer, which was at that time only used at tax collection period. Steel shelving was purchased for the books by the Town Board. Several willing ladies were in attendance every Saturday morning to serve the people wishing to rent the books and record their names. A small rental was charged. The Village of Thiensville and Mequon shared the expense of the library on a 80% for Mequon and 20% for Thiensville basis. This was the start of the Mequon library. After this it was taken over by the Mequon-Thiensville Library League, which was organized earlier. They rented quarters in a building on Main Street in Thiensville. In a few years, the space proved too small and they took over the room adjoining, having then doubled the quarters. The library proved so popular, that this additional space became too small to operate efficiently. The members of the Library League were to a great extent responsible for the success of the library by their interest and untiring effort to make the Mequon-Thiensville library a success.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright