Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
Fire Department Up to the incorporation of the Village of Thiensville, there was one _fire department, called the Thiensville- T+ ,nnrl +1, entire Town of ivoequon Fire Department. It sWr%0 0b .... ..... Town.o MJ]equcni.n the unincorporated Village of Thiensville. The co. 1 o f upkee , aL first was minimal and was supported by voluntary donations by Thiensville and Mequon, and by individual donors. The first fire house was situated on Elm Street, across the street from the stone school building, about one block east of the Green Bay Road in Thiensville. It was a hand pumper, manned by six or eight men, four on either side, who did the pumping and placed the water on the fire. The next engine was a horse drawn machine, usually by a team from the Thiensville Lumber Company. This fire engine was followed by a motor driven pumper. In 1912, the residents of the Village of Thiensville decided to incor-norate as a village form of government. The area to be included as a village was described and the necess~ry incorporation papers prepared, and voted on by the residents included, The vote was carried and the in- corporation properly recorded. It was then known as the Village of Thiensville. The fire department was still recognized as the Thiensville4ecuon fire department. The town of iMequon agreed to pay the fire department the sum of one hundred dollars for each fire reported and responded thereto.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright