Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
Thiensville The era mentioned up until the year 1910, included the Town of Mequon, that portion of about one square mile in area in approximately the center of the Town, known as the Village of Thiensville. It was that portion originally settled by a Mr. Win. Thien, who erected a saw mill and a grist mill at or about the intersection of the Pigeon Gree~ : r~d the Milwaukee River. he also took up a portion of land, part of which he later donated t the school district. This little community was named after Mr. Thien, being called Thienville. From this little hub, business and residences grew to a thriving little community. At the turn of the century, a great number of business and residences had few added to the original cluster. By this time, a number of residents thought it an opportune time to incorporate as a village, have their own form of government by which they could govern themselves better than by staying with the Town. This they then did in 1910. They received their charter, elected their own officers, etc. There always remained friction between some of the residents of Thiensville and Mequon, which at this writing is still smoldering. This entered into not only municipal govern- ment but also seeped into the school, fire department, policy department, the dam, etc. This is the reason for a jt. school district #3 with Thiensville and jt. high school district #1, a portion of ivequon which was annexed to Thiensville, was still in Ivequon.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright