University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
([ca. 1990?])


The record of the railroads as mentioned in the last
history of Mequon published by the Mequon Club, is up to
the year 1870 did not change since then, except for the
fuel used. Then it was coal and now diesel oil.
The h iilwa'kee and Northern railroad, now a part of the
Chicago, M, ilwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific system, was
completed and in operation in 1871.   ( It is now known
as the Milwaukee R. R.).
The Milwaukee, Manitowoc and Green Bay Railroad Company
was incorporated March 10, 1870 (No known as the Chicago
and ltorthwestern R.R.).  Both of these railroads are still
in operation. The Milwaukee Road runs approximately
through the center of the City, closely in the vicinity
of the Cedarburg Road. The Northwestern Railroad is in
the easterly part of Mequon and follows Lake Michigan
shoreline within a mile west and also in close proximity
to the Port Washington Road.
Both of these railroads at one time operated both passenger
trains and freight trains. Both lines had a depot, one at
so called East Mequon and one at Thiensville attended by
a full time agent. They not only did the clerical work,
but also received and dispatched telegraph messages,
both for the railroad and for the American Express Company.
Both of these depots and agents received small freight

Go up to Top of Page