Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
Village of Little Kohler, p. 94
VILLAGE OF LITTLE KOHLER This is the section of the Town of Fredonia settled by people from Saxony and Bavaria in Germany. "-)e village was founded by Martin Koller and his name and that of Chas. Zettlerwhose halftimber house is being restored at Hawthorne Hills Parkappear on the first poll lists in 1847- 1851. Martin Koller donated the land for St. Mary's Church, built in 1849 of stone and still a fine landmark. Koller also donated a tract of wooded land to the church for fuel. His grandson, Harold Koller, states that Martin came from Baria. The name of the village was originally spelled K 0 L L E R but the first postmaster seemed unable to distinguish between the address and the addressee on the letters coming in and sent everybody's mail to the Koller family. So to correct this confusion, the name and spelling of the village was changed from Koller to Little K 0 H L E R.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright