Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
Holy Cross - town of Belgium, pp. 87-87A
HOLY CROSS - TOWN OF BELGIUM "The following is the full list of fifteen families which was the first contingent of Luxembourgers and Belgians to come over to this county; Brothers Watry from Sterpenich, Belgium; Brothers Wolf from Selingan, Luxembourg; J. Weyker from Sterpenich, Belgium; Brothers Pously from Battincourt, Luxembourg; M. Reding from Herzig, Luxembourg; T. Feireisen from Sterpenich, Belgium; J. Burton from Turpen, Belgium; P. Biever from Kleinelter, Luxembourg; G. Dornbach from Guixsch, Belgium; Peschong from Kuetzig, Luxembourg; J.R. Gosche from Ofen, Luxembourg; J. Wagner and J. B. Wagner from Strapen, Luxembourg. They settled in the wilderness later called Holy Cross, Wisconsin."* It is believed that these people came over together, and J. Weyker's passport shows that he and his wife and four children sailed on an American ship, the SyLvanuE Jenkins, with Capt. Eveleigt iL 1845. According to tradition in the Weyker family, it was J. Weyker who gave the name to the Town of Belgium. *Quoted from History and Directory of Ozaukee County, 1899, by W.B. Krause in German, translated in the History of the Ubbirk-Weyker Family by Misses Ann and Viola Ubbink.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright