University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin

Port Ulao,   pp. 61-62

Page 61

Due east of Grafton on the lakeshore, is the site of the once busy
Port Ulao. In 187, James T. Gifford of Elgin, Illinois, built a pier e
chute to slide firewood down frou the top of the 150 foot bluff to the
of the wood burning steamboats.
For a long tim Port Ulao enjoyed a firewood monopoly on Lake NiehJ
A big side-wheeler, the "Empire," consumed 600 cords of wood, the produc
10 acres of heavy timber, on a single voyage from Buffalo to Chicago.
In 1850, Gifford gave up his residence at Ulao and Captain John Rei
Howe, who had comanded one of the first steam ships on Lake Michigan tc
with relatives and friends succeeded Gifford at the port.
One of Captain Howe's two sisters, Jane, while residing in the Stal
New York, married a gentleman of Huguenot ancestry and excellent characi
nmed Luther Guiteau. Influenced by Captain Howe, they moved to Ulao.
Guiteau platted an4 sold what was known as the Port Ulao adition.
Their son, Charles, who was seven years old when they settled at U]
was nervous, irrational, and high strung. He got into one scrape after
another. To make a long story short, it was this sme Charles Guiteau
assassinated President Garfield in 1881.
On March 31, 1856, an act was passed by the legislature to vacate I
of the Village of Port Ulao in ten are tracts on Ulao Road, the sme n
be sold for not less than $15 an acre.
During the Civil War, several copanies of Milwaukee militia were
barked at the Port Ulao pier to surround draft resisters at Port Washtq
After this war, the village was gradually abandoned, since coal was beiz
used in place of hardwood for steamboat fueling.

Go up to Top of Page