Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
Pebble house, pp. 58-59
PEBBLE HOUSE The pebble house now used as a gate house at the Wisconsin Electric Power Canpauy plant was once a hcme for generations of Port Washingtonians. Edward Dodge, a blacksmith, and his wife, Elizabeth, spent many weeks gathering stones used in its ponstruction along the shore of Lake Michigan. They carried them to the site in baskets and hods. Many hours were spent sorting the as to size and color. The sooth stones range frm the size of an egg to a fist, and colors vary from gray and brown to a subdued pink. The home was originaly uilt in 1818, the year Wisconsin achieved statehood, on the south bank of Sauk Creek, about 125 feet north of its present location. The water washed cobbles and pebbles have a fine eggshell surface, ma1in them unusually smooth. It has been suggested that they are of Olacial origin. The walls for the story and a half house, one of the finest examples of beach stone construction in Wisconsin, are 20 inches thick, with an inner structure of rubble stone wall. This was built up several feet or more before the facing was added. A wooden framework was then built on the outside of the wall, and a plank was set up horizonta,1y. After the course of stones was laid, the plank was raised for the next row. Every few feet it become necessary to allow the wall to dry, as too much pressure frcm above would cause the round stones to slip gut. The pattern involves two aWPing courses of black basalt pebbles, then a single course of granites of pink and gray Oat4 than two courses of buff, V1* and white flints and qmtizites.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright