Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
Transportation, pp. 424-429 PDF (1.6 MB)
TIRANSPORTATION COMPILED BY GEORGE BANTA, JR. Railroads CHICAGO & NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY-The first railroad to reach Neenah was the Chicago and Northwestern, which came in 1861 as a part of the expansion of the road from Oshkosh to Appleton and Green Bay. This road was a merger of the Galena and Chicago Union and the Rock River Valley Union, which had been reorganized as the Chicago, St. Paul & Fond du Lac R.R. Chicago & Northwestern Depot, at intersection of Commercial and Railroad Streets. The first depot was located where the tracks intersect South Commercial Street near the present plant of the Neenah Milk Products Company (now the Galloway Company). The original idea was to swerve to the west across the slough, and then go straight south along the west shore of Little Lake Butte des Morts. The right of way was constructed and the ties put in place to a point somewhere near the west end of the present C.&N.W. bridge, when the protests of Menasha residents, particularly the owners of the Menasha Wood- enware Corporation, caused a change in plans. The line was re- engineered to bring the tracks across the island in their present loca- 424
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'