Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
Community Chest, pp. 227-228 PDF (341.6 KB)
COMMUNITY CHEST FOLLOWING World War II there was widespread interest in the crea- tion of an organization to take over the money raising activities for a large group of organizations who had previously put on individual fund raising drives. Such an organization could reach a greater num- ber of people than the individual organizations, and thus the financial base of the fund raising was widened. Neenah-Menasha organized their Community Chest on Thursday, June 26, 1947, at the St. Thomas Community Building. Officers elected at that meeting were: S. F. Shattuck, President J. Morgan Wheeler, 1st Vice-President Mrs. J. F. Gillingham, 2nd Vice-President Don Colburn, Secretary J. Russell Ward, Treasurer Six Directors were also elected and the following Committee Chair- men were selected: Budget Committee-Henry J. Young Admissions CommitteeV-W. H. Swanson Nominating Committee-John Pinkerton A local War Fund Committee had $1,870.00 which had been col- lected to perpetuate a veteran's office which was not being used, and this fund was turned over to the Chest. The townships of Neenah and Menasha were included with the two cities for Chest activities. Eight organizations were approved for the first year's operation of the Chest: Y.W.C.A., Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Salvation Army, V.N.A., Boys' Brigade, Children's Service Society of Wisconsin, and the Neenah-Menasha Apostolate. The goal for this first fund drive was set at $6o,ooo, which was attained. Officers for the year 1956-57 are: Donald A. Snyder, President Arthur Hedlund, ist Vice-President John H. Wilterding, 2nd Vice-President Mrs. H. C. Sperka, Secretary E. J. Schultheis, Treasurer Donald C. Shepard, Jr., Campaign Chairman 227
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'