Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
The 1870's, pp. 29- PDF (3.1 MB)
THE I8 7O's CON'rINt :INC our bird's eye view of history flowing to us from the past, we come to the last decade of the Cunningham era. Clwers, IKimball & K~ellett The forerunner of the present Elwers Drug Store was established in the Pettibone Block under the name of Kimberly and Henry Drug House. This was in 1870. This store has always been in this location, except during the re- building after the great fire of January, 1883. Fred Elwers, George's father, attained a national record by working in and supervising this one store from age 22 to age 92. On the north side of Wisconsin Avenue, in the space now occupied by Harmon McCarthy, the Kimball Jewelry Store opened for business. William 0. Nelson clerked for Kimball, and eventually bought him out. Mr. Nelson was succeeded by Mr. McCarthy. On the northeast corner of Wisconsin Avenue and North Commer- cial Street, William Kellett operated a general store in I866. It was here that E. E. Jandrey got his start, selling his services for $75 per year and board. Eventually Mr. Jandrey purchased the business from the Kellett estate, it having been moved to its present location prior to Mr. Kellett's passing. ,Xeena/ Gazette and G. Q/. Cunningham 1871 saw the Neenah Gazette founded by Charles Boynton, who found space in the second floor of the Pettibone Block, which burned in 1883. It was at the midpoint of this decade that Mr. Cunningham comes into view. In 1875 he was hired by Boynton. Three years later we find him editing the paper and author of the History of Neenah, printed at the "Gazette Printing Establishment." Subsequently the 29
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'