University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

The 1840's to 1860's inclusive,   pp. 13-20 PDF (2.0 MB)


Page 13


THE, 1840'S To i86o's Nc., VE
H!'       IOHIi(,HTl'NG; of the era covered by Mr. Cunningham's his-
          tory may appear to some as a twice-told tale. On the other
          hand, a clean pick-up of the story at the year 1878 would
          leave much to be desired. Therefore, we record a rundown
of a few "firsts" and other significant data, with the suggestion
that all
readers add to our efforts as their memories are jogged or as they come
upon pertinent facts and interesting incidents in the course of their
conversations and reading.
The First Town Meeting
  The first town meeting in the recently opened settlement of "Winne-
bago Rapids" occurred in 1847, one year after the area was open to
purchase. It preceded by 26 years Neenah's incorporation as a city.
Associated with these dates is the year 1848, when the territory of Wis-
consin became a state.
Carly Social Organizations
  As may be imagined, various forms of social and mutually helpful
organizations sprang up in the pioneer settlement. The first of many
such groupings seems to have been the Lodge of Odd Fellows, char-
tered in 1849. This lodge continued for ten years, when it surrendered
its charter. In February 1870 the charter was reinstated and the or-
ganization thenceforth continued live and serves to this day.
  A lodge of Free and Accepted Masons was organized in Menasha, as
Lodge 61, in early I8s. Menasha and Neenah men constituted its
membership. Early meetings were held in Menasha, but since October
of that year (1855) meetings have been held on the Neenah side of the
line. The Masonic Temple at 241 East Wisconsin Avenue was dedi-
cated in 1926.
                               13


Go up to Top of Page