University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XIX: incorporated villages,   pp. 164-201


Page 164

CHAPTER XIX
INCORPORATED VILLAGES
Boycevifle.-The incorporated village of Boyceville is situated on Tiffany Creek
in the southeast corner of the political town of Tiffany, a town named after Pettis
Tiffany, who came to Dunn County in 1840-it is not known from where-and
conducted the first logging operation on this creek.
The village occupies a level site on a stretch of prairie land bordered in several
directions by low hills or bluffs, which on the southeast approach very close to it.
It was settled as early as 1860, and is said to have been surveyed and platted in
August, 1868, though the earliest plat on record at the Dunn County courthouse is
dated in 1884, the year in which the Wisconsin Central railroad was built through it.
'T his latter plat calls the village Barker (the nar".  given t,  the station by the rail-
road company), and was made in September, 1884 by D. W. Waite, county sur-
veyor, for Abel Kaye, "for purposes of sale and assessment." The location is
defined as "a part of the N. E. %4 of the N. E. }4 of Section 35, Township 30 N. of
Range 14 W." The plat shows the four blocks between Tiffany and Main streets
and between East and Center streets.
Another plat, called "Brown's Addition," and consisting of two blocks between
Tiffany and Main and between Stanley and Center streets, was made for Moses
Brown by D. W. Waite in the same month. Later additions were made for Adolph
Peterson'in 1908, 1911 and 1914; for Otto E. Skamser in 1913; the "Park Addition,"
consisting of 63j acres, for Vick Lewis and wife, in 1914; the "Twin Oak Addition"
for Mrs. A. D. Caryl in 1915; "Hayes Addition," 1915; "High School Addition,"
December, 1921; and the survey and map made on the incorporation of the village,
the map being dated December 9, 1921.
Thomas West, a pioneer still living, came to this region in 1858 and worked for
the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company, and the Jewett and other lumber companies.
In 1867, he came to Boyceville and found lumbering was being done in this vicinity
by A. C. McDougall and Mike Conners. At that time there were plenty of Indians
here. At the village "Mose" Brown had a small grocery and A. Barton, a black-
smith shop, while the Hays (or Hayes) brothers had a mill at Haystown. Barton
lived at his shop on the creek and Brown's house was the only one on the village site.
Menomonie was the place whence the people obtained their supplies. The railroad
was not yet thought of and there were no made roads, only trails through the woods. and
the people walked, or used ox teams. The only man in this region who had a horse
team was John Brewer, a farmer, who lived six miles out. At that time the towns
of New Haven, Tiffany and Stanton were all comprised in the town of New Haven
and the men voted at Menomonie. Mr. W.2st, who lived six miles north of the
village site, in the spring of 1868, helped to build the first schoolhouse in this dis-
trict, half a mile north of the site of the Boyceville creamery. It was a log building
and is still standing. The big lumbermen got through in this territory about 20
years ago, though some cutting has been done since.
When the railroad came in 1884 the company (as already mentioned) named the
station Barker, by which name the village also was known for some seven or eight
years, though the name of the post office was Boyceville. In 1891 there were about
100 inhabitants here, and the industries included the sawmill of John Marlett, the
saw and flour mill of F. L. and J. C. Roberts, and, about a mile to the west, at
Haystown, the saw and grist mill of A. A. Hays & Bros. The Cadott hub and
spoke factory was also a local industry for several years.
John Cook must have been the first postmaster of Boyceville, as the office,
previously known as the Tiffany Creek office, was moved to his house from Hays-
town some time before the coming of the railroad. It is not well remembered who
succeeded Mr. Cook, though it may have been pioneer N. W. Bradshaw, as he had
164


Go up to Top of Page