University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Businesses,   pp. 111-119


Page 111

Businesses
Swan Post Office
The Swan Post Office,was built in the Town of Frankfort in 1903. This photograph was taken just before it was to be torn down
in 1957. It was named for Adam Swan, the first postmaster, who operated the postoffice at his home for some time before selling the
property to Louis Chapman, who also acquired the postmastership with the property. It was used later as a granary by Walter Brown.
- Information from the Recorder, a special column in the Marshfield News Herald Jan. 23, 1960.
The first listing of a post office by the name of Swan appeared in the 1895 Wisconsin Blue Book, and the last entry is in the 1901
edition.
Taverns
Most ofthe people who settled in Marathon County and the
Town of Frankfort came from central Europe where they en-
joyed their beer, wine and other liquor. When they came to this
country they brought their customs with them.
The first saloon to be built in Frankfort was that of William
Koch in about 1899 and a license issued to him in 1900 for $100.
It was a two story building with a dance hall upstairs, saloon and
grocery store downstairs and an outside dance floor next to the
saloon for dancing.
It was built on the corner of NE in the NE corner of Section
23 which is land now owned by Leonard Ebben.
It was operated by Mr. Koch until he died in 1907. Albert
Smith operated it for about two years. After that Mrs. Emilia
Koch and her son, August Koch, operated it for about six years.
It was then operated by Charley Rodatz for one year in 1914.
It was then rented to Albert Doering in 1915 and sold to Gust
Rossel in 1918 who owned and operated it until 1928. He sold
it to Rudolph Dombrove in 1928, who operated it for about three
years. Then he rented the saloon to several operators who were:
Emil Fleith in 1930, Jake Christiansen 1931-32, August Dittner
1932, Joe Heindl 1934, James Johnson 1934 and Ray Rodman
in 1935.
It was then sold to Arthur Mielke, in 1936, who owned and
operated it until 1938 and then sold it to Chris Schaus who was
the last one to operate it.
The building was then sold to Gust Hager, in 1942, who tore
the building down and built a house out of it on his farm.
Peter Christiansen built a saloon in 1900 with a dance hall
upstairs and a grocery store and a waiting room downstairs.
The first saloons always had a separate waiting room where the
ladies and children waited while the men drank their beer.
Peter Christiansen, also, had a livery stable of horses,
buggies and sleighs with which he would furnish transportation
to whomever needed it.
The saloon was built in the SW, SW corner in Section II.
Peter Christiansen operated his saloon until 1931 when he
passed away. His wife then rented it to Frank Fischer, in 1931,
who operated it about one year.
In 1932, Mrs. Christiansen rented the saloon to Rudolph
Vesley, who operated it for about two years. It was then rented
to a Mr. La Mere from Athens.
It may, also, have been operated by a Mike O'Brien for a short


Go up to Top of Page