University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Schools,   pp. 57-75


Page 57

Schools
EARLY COUNTRY SCHOOLS
One of the concerns of the first settlers was the education of
their children. The first youngster no doubt had to walk to
school in the Town of Wien or elsewhere.
School records are hard to find as to the exact dates that the
first schools were built.
When the Townships were divided into school districts they
tried to keep them close enough so that the youngsters did not
have to walk more than two miles.
The districts were changed and altered aspopulation changed,
especially the first few years.
The first schools had only 5 months school, but in time, the
term was extended every few years until today 180 days are
required.
The first settlers could not spare their older children to
attend school very long, only during the winter months and
some only went through the 4th grade.
Many students had to walk more than 2 miles one way to
school and frozen ears, fingers and lunches were common during
the winter months.
The schools were heated by a pot bellied wood stove with a
shield around it, and on a cold day the children all stood around
the stove to keep warm.
The older children all had duties assigned to them before and
after school such as, carrying in the wood, and water, and
sweeping the school room. The bathroom facilities were outside
several rods from the school building.
The early one room schools had an attendance of 25 to over
60 students with one teacher teaching all eight grades.
Some of the early teachers laced a good education them-
selves, but as time passed, they were required to have a certifi-
cate to teach Reading, Writing, Arithmetic, English,
Grammar,Geography, Physiology, U.S. History, U. S.
Constitution and Penmanship.
As time passed, teachers were required to have one year of
normal school or College after High School in order to teach.
Now a full four years or more are required.
Although with the meager facilities of getting an education
in the early years, these one room schools turned out many
educated students who made the nation great.
FRANKFORT SCHOOLS AND DISTRICTS
Before Frankfort was organized and was part of the Tbwn of
Wien, any youngster who lived in Frankfort no doubt attended
school in the Town of Wien. In 1873, according to Wien School
records a school district was formed in section six between Town
of Frankfort and Town of Hull known as District No. 6 probably
for the benefit of settlers living on the west side of Frankfort.
On July 16,1893, after Frankfort was organized, this district
was reorganized into a Joint district between Frankfort and
Hull known as District No. 2 and later called Rusk School.
On November 18,1884 the school district paid John Prosser
$150.00 for building a new school.
On July 6, 1885, the district received $362.00 in state aid to
operate the school. The first teacher hired was Nelly Slowey.
On October 16, 1891, Charles Zernka received $425.00 for
building a new school.
On October 23, 1891, A.B.Ehle received $20.00 for one acre
of land for a new school site located on SW-SW corner in Section
6. The school board in 1895 were W.L. Parkhill, Director: A.W.
Prentice, Clerk and John F. Prosser, Treasurer.
In 1960 the School District voted to dissolve the School
District and join the Colby Consolidated District.
After the Town of Frankfort was organized in April of 1880
the Town Board met to divide the Township into School Districts
as follows:
District No. I shall include Sections 1-2-3-10-11-12-13-14-
15-30-31-N1/2 of 32.
District No. II shall include Sections 4-5-6-7-8-16-17-18-19-
20-21.
District No. III shall include Sections 22-23-24-25-26-27-28.
29-N1/2 of 33-N1/2 of 34-SE1/4 of 34-N1/2 of Sw Y4 of 34-SEl/
4SE of 34ec. 35-36 Joint School Dist. #5 S1/2 of 32-S1/2 of 33
SW1/4-SW1/4 of 34.
On April 1881 the Town Board made the following additions:
It is hereby ordered and determined that Sections 16-17-18-
19-20-21 shall constitute a School District to be known as No.1
4 and Sections 4-5-6-7-8-9 shall constitute a School District
known as District No. 2.
March 14,1896, Town Board sets boundaries for District No.
I as follows:
Sections 1-2-11-12 East half of Section 3.
District No. 3
Sections 13-14 South half of 15.
Sections 22-23-24 and East half of Section 28.
District No. 5
Sections 25-26-27 West half of 33 and Section 34-35-36.
District No. 2
Sections 10-16-21 and West half of Section 3, North half of
15, West half of 28, East half of 29 and North East corner of 32
and Section 9 detached from Joint Dist. No. 2 and attached to
District 2.
District No. 4
Section 17-18-19-20 West half of 29-30-31 Northwest quar-
ter of Section 32.
A special town meeting was held on Nov. 3 1896 for the
purpose of adopting Township School Government. The vote
was 47 for adopting and 39 against.
Nov. 16,1896 the Boards of all School Districts and Directors
in the Township met to elect a Board from their group as a
Township School Board. Elected for President was Jack Bal-
uacker, Vice-President, A.W. Prentice and Clerk John Lol-
lathin.
A special meeting was held on January 14, 1897 to let Sub


Go up to Top of Page