University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Churches,   pp. 51-56


Page 51

Churches
RELIGION
One of the concerns of the early settlers besides public
education for their children, was the baptism of their children
d bringing them up in their Christian Faith.
the majority of the early settlers coming to the Town of
Frankfort were from Germany, and of the Lutheran faith.
They were followed later by some of the Catholic faith. The
Town of Wien being settled before Frankfort, one of the first
churches to be organized was St. John's Lutheran Church,
Missouri Synod. This was located one mile east of the
Frankfort Township.
ST. JOHN'S LUTHERAN CHURCH,
MISSOURI SYNOD
Town of Wien
The beginnings of the St. John Missouri Lutheran Church
can be traced back to 1860. It was then that Mr. and Mrs.
Frederick Hamann, their son Henry, a sister Fredreicka, Mr.
Hamann's parents, Karl and Marie Hamann, Mr. and Mrs.
William Garbrecht and Karl Marquardt traveled through
dense pine forests from Stevens Point. They arrived at their
homestead sites after six weeks of travel.
At their request in 1862, the Rev. J.J. Hoffman of the Town
of Berlin visited them to baptize several children.
On July 4, 1867, the Rev. J.F. Wilhelm Hudtloff was
ordained at Naugart in the Town of Berlin. He visited the
Town of Wien at regular intervals and played an important
role in the early development of St. John's and later assisted in
its organization in 1869.
The first members met for worship in their log cabins. Later
they worshipped in the Town Hall, better known as "The Old
School House," which stood across from where St. John's
American Lutheran Church on County Trunk N now stands.
In September 1875, the Rev. Wilhelm Weber was installed
as the first resident pastor. About 1883 the congregation had
difficulty finding a pastor to serve them. They called a former
school teacher, Mr. Carl Busch deposed from office in Ger-
many, to be their pastor. Shortly after this, the congre-
gation was divided over the desirability of having an un-
ordanied pastor.
The Conservative Minority objected to his pastorate and
decided to sever relationship with the majority. On February
20, 1885 they met at the home of Karl Charles Marquardt and
reorganized the congregation.
The newly organized St. John's Missouri Synod Church
moved about one-quarter mile west of the original site. There
in 1886, across from the present Hoppenworth place, they
build a 22 x 34 building as their church. In 1894, they pur-
chased three acres of land from Christian Betzner and moved
the building there with horses which is their present site.
In October 1907, the congregation decided to build a new
church of Gothic style, measuring 40 x 74 with the steeple
standing 112 feet tall. This landmark explains why many
people refer to St. John's as "The Steeple Church," located
one-fourth mile east of 97 became affiliated with the Missouri
Synod on May 31, 1880. The present pastor is Rev. Mark J.
Nicolaus.
After the split in the congregation on February 20, 1885, the
majority acquired the church property from Karl Marquardt
and were served by pastors of the Ohio Synod. Presently they
are affiliated with the American Lutheran Church and count
the beginning of their church as 1885.
Construction of the first church was begun on July 20, 1885
and on December 6, 1885 it was dedicated.
The congregation was then served by Pastor Goepling, a
member of the Ohio Synod. He was followed by Pastor
Fischer, who served until 1890. Pastor C. Schmalz from Ocon-
to, Wisconsin, also a member of the Ohio Synod, was then call-
ed, and installed on May 4, 1890. He served this congre-
gation for thirty years until his death on August 25, 1920. He
is buried in the church cemetery. Pastor T.E. Diemer of Strat-
ford served the congregation until Pastor E. Nottbohm of Mt.
Olive, Illinois was called. He was installed on December 12,
1920 and served the congregation for thirty-six years. In 1926,
during his tenure, a beautiful new church was built. It must
have been the envy of many a congregation. The membership
was then around four hundred.
TOWN OF WIEN CEMETERY
Copied October 11, 1975
Located on County N in Section 16, Town of Wien, Marathon
County.
This is one of the older cemeteries in the area. Many were
buried here before any churches were organized. Since Frank-
fort doesn't have a town cemetery and was part of the town of
Wien until 1890, many are also buried here who lived in the
town of Frankfort. Many stones are in poor shape and difficult
to read. There are also many buried here without any markers.
Facing West reading from front to back and left to right.
ROW #1
FRIEDRICH
HINTZ
BUROW
HINTZ
LOSKOT
HINTZ
SCHWINGE
ROW #2
GROSSKREUTZ
STREBE
RACHU
HON
ROW #3
PROCHASKA
Emma 0. - 1882-1974
Carl E. - 1877-1962
Karl E. - 1914-1956
Gustave M. - 1894-1946
(Am. War Vet. marker)
Mother, Emealia A., Wife of C.F. Hintz
Feb. 25, 1884 - Jan. 15, 1942
Father, Joseph - 1867-1938
Father, Martin C. - Aug. 29, 1906-
Oct. 28, 1933
Heinrich - Geb. - Nov. 25, 1847 -
Gest. Feb. 4, 1931
Dona Mae - 1929-1929
Leo - Oct. 29, 1920 -" Nov. 24, 1924
Alma - Nov. 20, 1919 - Jan. 20, 1924
Broken stone, no writing
Bessie - Born May 17, 1910 -
Died April 25, 1913
Mary - Born Aug. 7, 1862 -
Died Dec. 15, 1923


Go up to Top of Page