Town of Frankfort centennial
Organizations, pp. 43-50
Organizations HOMEMAKER'S CLUB The history of Homemaker's clubs in the state of Wisconsin have deep roots in Marathon County where some of the first clubs were organized. In the early 1900's teen years, the farm organization called the American Society of Equity was gaining membership in Wisconsin which also included the women's Auxiliary. Several of these groups were organized in Marathon County. One of the first to be organized was the Women's Auxiliary in Cherokee on July 15, 1915. They celebrated their 60th anniversary on March 26, 1975 by honoring their first president Mrs. Hulda Heintz, who had just passed her 89th birthday. She and her husband Otto were both teachers in the Cherokee area. They had one daughter, Mrs. John (Irma) Coates. The club was organized with 28 charter members, two of which were still living in 1975. In 1928 the club affiliation with Equity was dropped and the name was changed to the Cherokee Women's Association and now are part of the Homemaker's Extension Group. Some of these members were from the Town of Frankfort. The follow- ing have served as presidents of the club during the sixty years: Hulda Heintz Rochelle Fricke Lena Brehm Bernice Miller Laura Carr Georgette Ganz Hildegarde Eggebrecht Maxine Hass Florence Smart Irma Coates Viola Rein Sarah Olson Helen Brehm Jone Dallman Marion Fricke Alice Bender Edna Olson Jean Mielke It was during the First World War of 1917-18 when the need for conserving food and making bandages for the Red Cross that many of the early women's clubs were organized to help in these emergencies. Fifteen emergency home demonstration agents were hired by the Wisconsin extension department to help out with problems created by the war. With the influence of the women's groups and county agent, Frank Swoboda, they convinced the county board to hire one of these home agents. Mary Brady was the first home demonstration agent to serve in Marathon County. She started work on April 6, 1918. Her first job was to teach housewives how to use wheat and meat substitutes during the war period. She lost no time in organizing the first Homemaker's Club in the Town of Maine under the county extension supervision. The club was already organized as a Mother's Club since early 1918, but was reorganized at the home of Mrs. Edward Gensman on May 9, 1919 with Mary Brady's help. Mrs. Gertrude Witter was their first president. The organization of other clubs followed in rapid suc- cession throughout the county. Many other problems faced the county such as poor roads, long distances for medical and nurses care and hot lunches in schools. The first gathering of the county homemaker's women's clubs was held in Wausau at the Universalist Church in Wausau on April 26, 1919. The County Federation of Women's Clubs was organized on September 22, 1920, at the City Hall in Wausau. At the third meeting held at St. Mary's Church of Wausau, the County Federation of Women elected Mrs. A. F. Schultz as their first County President. After the war ended, out of the 15 home agents the state hired, all were laid off except Mary Brady. At a special meeting of the county board on June 10, 1919 they voted to re tain her on a permanent basis. She became Wisconsin's first and only home agent for 10 years. She served under the strong and personable direction of the state home economic leader, Mrs. Nellie Kedzie Jones. It was two years before the county board furnished Miss Brady with a car. Up until April 20th she was transported around the county by horse and buggy. Mary Brady resigned on December 31 after serving three years and 9 months. During her stay here she organized 26 homemaker's clubs with 663 members, seven community clubs with 700 members, and fourteen 4-H Clubs. Mary Brady and Frank Swoboda, the county agent, were co-editors of the magazine called the Marathon County Farm Journal. Some of the other home agents to serve Marathon County in the following years were: Mary Brady Vangel Russell Regina Feeney Ruth Feeney Edith Bangham Helen Pearson Merle Ramer Ann Nugaard Eileen Niedermeier Ardith Murphy Bonnie Williams Silverstein Kathy Deml Goetz Mary Crave 1918-1922 1922-1927 1927-1928 1928-1929 1929-1936 1936-1939 1939-1949 1949-1950 1950-1964 1964-1971 1971-1981 1981-1985 1986-present C.F.W. HOMEMAKER'S CLUB The initials stand for Cleveland, Frankfort, and Wien townships. This club was organized in April 1927, at the home of Mrs. Frank Wanke Route 4 Stratford and a teacher at the Briggs School at the time. Regina Fenny County Home Agent helped organize the club. Members were from all thr townships. The first officers elected were: President - Mrs Frank Wanke, Vice-President - Mrs. Otto Lueschow, Secretary - Mrs. Charles Hinitz, and Treasurer - Mrs Herman Leffel. Charter members of the club were: Mrs. Frank Wanke, Mrs Otto Lueschow, Mrs. Charles Hintz, Mrs. Herman Leffel, Mr Albert Crothers, Mrs. Art Lueschow, Anne Fandre, Mrs. Ricl ard Bahr, Mrs. Robert Syring, Mrs. Fred Hannemann, Mr Walter Viegut, Mrs. Elizabeth Dehn, Mrs. William Petrick, ar Mrs. Adolph Bornowski. The dues were set at five cents pe member.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright