University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Ingram, Orrin Henry, 1830-1918 / Autobiography, Orrin Henry Ingram : May, 1830--December, 1912

My own employer,   pp. 17-19 PDF (633.7 KB)

Page 17

  Soon after the mill was running, Harris & Bronson, at Lake
Pharaoh, bought a water power at Bytown, secured some tim-
ber limits, and prepared to build a mill. Mr. Bronson, then my
brother-in-law, was anxious to have me help build their mill,
knowing that I had after leaving them a good deal of exper-
ience. He thought I ought to be with them, and that he could
arrange for me to have some financial interest in the mill. Af-
ter the mill stopped, and during the winter, they were anxious
for me to be there and rush the mill-work and order the ma-
   I decided to go to Bytown and left Belleville in a covered
sleigh, with your mother and the baby, and our luggage. It
was a drive of albout 230 miles. We spent the second night out
at Brewer's Mills with the man I had engaged to take my place,
and his wife, and drove through by easy stages, and had a com-
fortable trip. Went directly to Mr. Bronson's house and re-
mained with them until spring, when we went to housekeeping,
for the first time.
                   MY OWN EMPLOYER
    All the next year I was busy helping about building the mill
 and to get the first piers and booms in the river to handle the
 logs as they came down the Ottawa. After the mill was built'
 Mr. Harris, who was the head of the Harris & Bronson Com-
 pany, suggested that he would like to have me run that mill by
 the thousand. We had already built a water-slide from the
 side of the mill where the lumber was put out down the shore
 to the piling ground for the lumber. It was of three-inch plank,
 part of them 15 inches wide and part 12 inches wide; three 12-
 inch plank in the bottom, and the side planks 15 inches wide.
 The lumber was dropped from the mill into the water-slide,
 with about six inches of water, which carried it to the piling
 ground, where the water was let out and the lumber taken on
 little two-wheeled cars and distributed. The mill consisted on
 the shore-side of what we called an English gate-two saws

Go up to Top of Page