Browse subcollection The Home Front: Manitowoc County in World War II
This manuscript, originally written as a research paper by a Manitowoc Lincoln High School student in 1970, was published by the Manitowoc County Historical Society as number 40 in its Occupational Monograph series in 1980. The paper discusses events and changes that occurred in Manitowoc during World War II and provides information about the city's wartime industries and economy, social conditions, and community development. It also lists Manitowoc County soldiers, sailors, and marines (but not airmen) who died during the war. Much of the information for this paper was derived from personal interviews with residents who held prominent positions in the community during the war years.
Includes information about each of the twenty-eight submarines built in Manitowoc by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company. "The information in this booklet was compiled from official Navy Documents, by the following members of the "U.S. Submarine Veterans of World War II," Manitowoc Chapter. Fred A. Galli, James Gogats, Gerald R. Pilger, Stephen Petreshock, Clifford H. Schaubs. First Printing 1968. Includes updating of data."
During World War II Lakeside Packing Company provided canned vegetables for the armed forces, delivering up to 60% of its 1942 and 1943 production to the Quartermaster Corps for shipment overseas. The company had plants in Manitowoc, Sheboygan, and Amery, Wisconsin and in Plainview, Minnesota. In 1944 the War Food Administration presented its "A" award for outstanding achievement in quality food production to the Manitowoc and Sheboygan plants. The "A" award ceremony was held on a Monday evening, August 14, 1944 outdoors at the Manitowoc plant at the east end of Franklin Street. The ceremony was broadcast over Manitowoc radio station WOMT with County Judge Jerome Ledvina presiding as master of ceremonies. This 8.5" x 14" nine-page script is Judge Ledvina's copy of the complete text for the broadcast, including remarks by Major O. F. Hilker representing the U.S. Army's Chicago Quartermaster Depot, Ben E. Fillis Jr. representing the War Food Administration, Charles Schultz representing the Lakeside Packing Company employees, and Lakeside president Harry Wedertz.
This 6" x 9" booklet was published for the dedication of the Custerdale Community House in Manitowoc, Wisconsin on July 25, 1943. Custerdale was a federal housing development constructed on the west side of Manitowoc by the federal Division of Defense Housing starting in 1941 to provide temporary homes for hundreds of workers who had moved to Manitowoc for war-related jobs, chiefly in the submarine building program at the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company and in Navy construction at the Burger Boat Company. By 1943 there were 650 Custerdale rental units available in single and double stand-alone homes and twenty-seven apartment buildings. The Custerdale Community House with an auditorium, social rooms, pre-school classrooms, and other facilities was completed in 1943. Its dedication on July 25 was also the first official program celebrating the annexation of Custerdale into the city of Manitowoc. Part of the original development had been within the city limis; the entire plot had been formally annexed June 5, 1942. In addition to the dedication program, this booklet includes photographs and information about Custerdale, the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company, and worker training programs in Manitowoc. There are also testimonial quotations from Custerdale residents, a poem about Custerdale, an honor roll of Custerdale residents serving in the armed forces, and a back page advertisement for war bond sales.
The 6"x 9" 1946 "village directory" of Custerdale is arranged in city directory fashion, with an alphabetical list of names, a cross-listing by address, a classified business directory of Manitowoc merchants and business firms, and a list of Manitowoc churches. There are also numerous business and professional advertisements. Custerdale was a government defense housing project built at the western city limits of Manitowoc during World War II to provide temporary homes for shipyard workers and other defense plant workers. In the center of the directory there is a double-page hand drawn map of Custerdale as the streets and blocks appeared in 1946. At this time there were still only two streets in Custerdale -- Circle Street and Straight Street. Most of the houses were located along small alleys, and addresses were designated with block numbers and house numbers rather than by a street name. After the war, 140 of the apartment units were moved to Waukesha, Wisconsin to relieve a housing shortage there. In 1954, the plan of Custerdale was changed as new streets named after Manitowoc-built submarines were added, and another 85 of the housing units were moved within Custerdale to conform to the new layout.
This sixteen page 6" x 9" booklet tied with blue cord was issued on the occasion of the presentation of the Army-Navy Production Award to the Hamilton Manufacturing Company on September 21, 1943. Prior to the war the Hamilton Manufacturing Company, located in Two Rivers, produced drafting furniture, children's furniture, dental cabinetry, and other products. During the war the company stepped up production of many of its regular lines to meet wartime needs, and also converted to special war production including ammunition boxes for 40 mm naval guns, dental and medical supplies, and components for the Ordnance and Signal Corps. The booklet includes the program for the award ceremony, a description of the Army-Navy Production Award, photographs of company employees, a list of company employees serving in the armed forces, a roster of award ceremony committees, copies of correspondence related to the award, and photographs and brief profiles of company officers E. P. Hamilton, H. G. Evans, and W. G. Dickson. There are also photographs and profiles of Brigadier General George F. Lull and Lieutenant Commander T. H. Jones, U.S.N.R., who made presentations at the ceremony.
This thirty-three page paper written for History Seminar 448-480 at the University of Wisconsin Green Bay describes what it was like growing up in Manitowoc, Wisconsin during World War II. Based on fourteen oral history interviews with men and women who were between the ages of eight and eighteen during the period 1941-1945, the paper offers reminiscences about personal and family life, community life, and popular culture of that period as seen from the perspective of young people.
These pages from a 2003 publication, A Salute to Our Fallen Heroes, list 174 Manitowoc County servicemen who died in World War II. Earlier articles published in the Manitowoc Herald Times on August 15, 1948, reported that 179 Manitowoc County residents were killed or died in service during the war: 82 from the city of Manitowoc, 30 from the city of Two Rivers, and 62 from elsewhere in the county. The articles also reported that a total of 6,202 men and women from Manitowoc County were inducted or enlisted, not counting those who served in the Coast Guard. The 1948 list includes twenty names that do not appear in this 2003 compilation: Philip Auboa (Valders), Arthur Donohue (Manitowoc), Harvey C. Engelbrecht (Two Rivers), Charles Hejda (Manitowoc), Charles Higgins (Manitowoc), Melvin C. Hurley (Two Rivers), Ruben A LaButzke (Kiel), Stuart McMunn (St. Nazianz), Robert J. Roessler (Manitowoc), Myron L. Schaff (Manitowoc), Oliver Skrivanie (Two Rivers), Horace A. Stoeppelmann (Manitowoc), John Tauschek (Kiel), John J. Thomas (Manitowoc), Harry H. Tolksdorf (Manitowoc), Walton Ulness (Valders), Harold Viengutz (Manitowoc), Roy Wentland (Manitowoc), Bernard Wilmer (Manitowoc), Melvin Yana (Two Rivers).