Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
Laack, Violet K.
Reedsville School, pp. 223-224 PDF (919.2 KB)
. EEDSVILLE SCHOOL Violet K. Laack The present Reedsville grade and high school has long been known as the Reedsville public s c h o o 1. The original school district was formed in 1861 by order of John Cannon, town superintendent of schools of the town of Maple Grove. The new school district includ- ed areas in Maple Grove and Rockland which originally were parts of Rockland 6 and Maple Grove 3. The new district was then known as Maple Grove joint district No. 10. It remain- ed joint district 10 until 1892 when Reedsville became an in- corporated village. Then the school district was designated as Reedsville Jt. 1, embracing land in Reedsville, Rock- land, and Maple Grove. In 1931, the areas outside of Reedsville village withdrew due to above average taxes and formed the new school districts of Rockland 1 and Maple Grove 5. The Reedsville village school was then designated the Reedsville school district. Evidently the first school site was leased to the school district for it was not until July 5, 1889, that lot 13 and so much of the south end of lot 10 as lies east of so called Mud Creek in Block No. 52 was purchased. On July 8, 1891, J. E. Schultz sold to the district the S½ of lot 11, Block 52, and on Feb. 26, 1946, Herman Boettcher sold to the district the north part of lot 10, Block 52. . The first school was a frame building located on the site of the present public school. It was a long rectangular building with the usual windows on three sides. Goff Morrissey, who taught in this school, describes it as a one room structure. The school was furnished with the usual "blackboards", crude seats and desks, benches, water pail, dipper, and wood box. The heating plant consisted of a box stove. Some of the older residents remember how the boys had to saw and split the firewood. After that school had served its purpose it was remodeled and is now used as a drug store by L. A. Busse. During the 1880's the little frame building was constantly over-crowded. Rec- ords in the county office show that in 1884 there were 128 pupils enrolled for the year. Enrollments of above 100 were common up to 1890. Because of the over-crowd- ed conditions and because the first'school was badly in need of repairs, the voters at the annual school meeting in 1890 introduced a resolution to appoint a committee composed of James Noble, Jos. Dumas, and Louis Falge to investigate the advisability of a new school buildinq. This committee must have recommended favorably for in 1891, a new two room bricklbuilding was erected at a cost of about $4,400. Fred Blum was the building contractor. The part built at that time was the west half of the .present school. About 1903 the east half of the present four room building was erected for about $6,000 by Emil and August Berkholtz. After the establishment of the high school in 1916, the school was c6ntinually being remodeled in order that the increasing enrollments might be properly housed. A room in the attic was fitted up for a classroom, while the basement was partition- ed off so that indoor lavatories could be installed. On March 30, 1917, a special meet- ing was called for the purpose of approving a loan of $12,000 to pay for an addition to the school. The vote was 122 against, 73 votes for, and 13 votes defective. Up to 1940 the village and Legion halls were used for the school's basketball games. On May 27, 1940, a special school election was called to vote on the question of a school gymnasium and a village community hall. The vote was favorable-and building con- struction began on August 16, 1940, and was completed December 1, 1940 at a cost of about $22,000. The general contractor was Furton Construction Co. of Menominee, Michigan. The gymnasium is 59 x 104 feet; the auditorium proper- 57 x 79; -and the stage 18 x 32 feet. The building, was dedicated March 21, 1941. High school education for every eighth grade graduate was becoming a common policy after 1935. To make high school education possible for the eighth grade 223
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Manitowoc Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright