University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Rappel, Joseph J. / A centennial history of the Manitowoc County school districts and its public school system, 1848-1948
([1948])

Two Creeks,   pp. 204-207 PDF (1.7 MB)


Page 204


                                 TWO CREEKS
    The present area within the township of Two Creeks was not originally
a part o-
Manitowoc county. It was not until 1850 that this area was attached to our
county as
a part of the Two Rivers township. Two Creeks remained a part of Two Rivers
until
1859 when it was set up as Rowley township by order of the County Board of
Super-
visors on July 13, 1859. That name it retained until November 20, 1861, when
the
County Board voted to change the name to Two Creeks because the name Rowley
was
"objectionable on account of personal associations" -see "Development
of Town
Boundaries".
    The southern half of the present township of Two Creeks at first was
a part of
the present Two Rivers No. 6 school district. After the incorporation of
the township
the school districts were numbered as they are at the present date-1948.
                     TWO CREEKS NO. 1 -LAKE VIEW
                                   Sara Kane
    Two Creeks School district
Number 1 was officially desig-
nated the "Lake View" school
in 1918. The reason for the
selection of this name was that
a fine view of Lake Michigan is
possible from the school prem-
ises. The school building is lo-
cated a quarter mile north of
the present village   of Two
Creeks on Highway 141. It is
located in Section 11 of the
township of Two Creeks. The
district is now composed of Sec-
tions 2-3-10-11-14-15 and a part
of 13.
    Prior to 1918 the school was
known as the Nero School and
much later as the Two Creeks School. It is still known by the latter name
by the
residents of the nearby communities. The name "Nero School" was
given to the first
school because it 'was situated in the then thriving village of Nero located
about one
mile east of the present village of Two Creeks. The village of Nero has disappeared
and only a few evidences of its existence now remain. School records show
that the
district was organized about 1860.
    -The first school building was built at Nero in the summer of 1861 at
a cost of $275.
It was built on contract by H. Luebke on a half acre of. land offered to
the district
by Mr. Luebke. The building had an exterior of brick over a wooden frame
struc-
ture. It was forty feet long, twenty feet wide, double-boarded with eight
windows
having 10 x 14 inch lights. Wooden benches were used for seats. The equipment
con-
sisted of a box stove, two blackboards, record books for the school officers,
a flag,
tables, pictures, maps, and chairs. The sum of 15 dollars was raised to pay
for
these furnishings.
    The second school building was erected in the summer of 1880 at a cost
of about
$1,000. It was located on the southwest side of the present school grounds.
The build-
ing again was a frame one with brick on the outside. The old building at
Nero was. sold
to a Herman Thiem for $18. Records tell that the building was so cold on
winter days
that the children's lunches were frozen. To eat these lunches the pupils
had to thaw
them out by putting the lunches on the stove where the bread would toast.
It seems
that much of the equipment used in the first school was transferred to the
second
building. Nero was still the post office address in 1898.
    The third school building, the present one without the remodeling which
was
done since its erection, was built in 1915 at a cost of $5,747.50. It is
a frame building
which was built by carpenter Ed. Schwab and mason Emil Gustek. The school
is now
modern in every respect with a steam heating system, drilled well, a pressure
water
system, indoor flush toilets, adjustable desks and seats, electric lights
and plate, and
all the latest and best teaching equipment. The old woodshed and an outhouse
were
sold at public auction for $7.
    The schools in this district were one room affairs until 1916 when two
teachers
were employed. The enrollment at that time was 66. A state law passed in
1905
forced districts with an enrollment over 65 to employ two teachers. Prior
to 1905 no
limit of the number of students per teacher was set. In 1932 the enrollment
had gone
down to below twenty-five, so the district voted to become a one-room school
again.
    School enrollment in this district fluctuated from decade to decade.
During the
time that Nero was a thriving Lake Michigan port, the enrollment varied from
50 to
204


Go up to Top of Page