University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Outagamie County (Wis.) State Centennial Committee / Land of the fox, saga of Outagamie County
([1949])

Balliet, Sarto
Townships emerge,   pp. 69-92 PDF (9.7 MB)


Page 69


TOWNSHIPS EMERGE
              By Sarto Balliet
  Although Outagamie County begins
officially with the date, February 17,
1851, its township history goes back to
1842, six years before Wisconsin became
a state. The Town of Kaukauna was estab-
lished April 7, 1842, under the territory
of Wisconsin as a part of Brown County.
For seven years all of the present Outa-
gamnie County, except the Indian lands
near the Wolf River, was known as Kau-
kauna Township and was governed by its
toxkvnship officers.
  As settlers came and communities other
than Kaukauna began to grow into thriv-
ing settlements, pioneers journeyed to
Green Bay to file application for the
organization of a new town. By the time
Outagamie separated from   Brown six
townships had been established and these
became the original towns of the new
Outagamie County: Kaukauna, 1842;
Grand Chute and Lansing, 1849; Green-
ville, Hortonia and Ellington, 1850. The
Town of Lansing, no longer known by
that name, included the present Towns of
Center, Freedom and land to the north.
  A description of the county and its
boundaries is found in Hunt's Wisconsin
GrZ6etteer in 1853, shortly after the complete
organization of the county.
  "Outagamie County is bounded on the
north by Oconto and a portion of Wau-
paca, east by Brown, south by Calumet
and Winnebago, and west by Waupaca,
and is 24 miles north and south by 27
miles east and west. It was established
Feb. 17, 1851, from Brown, to which it
remained attached for judicial purposes
until March 15, 1852, when it was com-
pletely organized. The boundaries were
defined March 4, 1852. The seat of justice
is about half way between the villages of
Appleton and Grand Chute and about a
mile from each.
  'The general surface of the county is
level and covered with a heavy growth of
timber, such as maple, elm, ash and
hickory, with but little or no wastelands.
The soil is good, but the agricultural
existence of the county is so recent little
can be said of its capabilities. All the
crops that have been tested here have
succeeded beyond the expectations of the
farmer.
  "The population now numbering 4,000
is composed of good, rural and industrious
settlers, mostly from New England and
New York. It is watered by the lower
Fox on the southeast and by the Wolf
69


Go up to Top of Page