Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[Walworth County Fair], p. 97 PDF (367.8 KB)
1910 postcard 1915 postcard 149 years ago when Wisconsin was just a yearling, the first annual fair and cattle show was held in the village of East Troy on October 16, 1850. A total of 35 first premi- ums, 17 second premiums and 3 third pre- miums were awarded. The first county fair held in Elkhorn was in 1851 and again in 1852 in the block south- west of the city park. In 1853 the fair site was moved to Delavan, but returned to Elkhorn in 1854. In 1855, the first purchase of land, from Colonel Edward Elderkin was made, consisting of 6 acres within the vil- lage of Elkhorn limits. Many visitors came by train, with 19 special trains unloading daily and leaving again each evening after the races. Today the acreage owned by the Walworth County Agricultural Society, incorporated in 1965, is approximately 90 acres, with land and buildings valued in excess of one million dollars. With 6 days of near-prefect weather, atten- dance topped '97 with 177,386 people going through the gates and recognition given to Jeff Gould as the fair's 149,000 visi- tor. Total dollars spent on animals at the sale was $249,747, down from $283,360 in '97, Headliners at the evening shows included Wayne Newton, Tanya Tucker and David Lee Murphy, with the popular Demolition Derby for the Labor Day finale. A prestigious "Blue Ribbon" award was pre- sented by the U.S. Trotting Horse Association to Elkhorn, as one of only 3 county fairs in the nation to be so recog- nized for the continuity and quality of their racing program. Standardbred horses have been racing at the Elkhorn track since 1905. With hundreds of activities, the Walworth County Fair, known as the fair that always makes good, is indeed "your ticket to fun". 97
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (email@example.com).