Historic places and people in the land of milk and honey: Wisconsin's treasure: a tribute to our past, a celebration of the present and our commitment to continue the good life
[Community Bank], p. 39 PDF (317.9 KB)
he first use of the building now known as -ommunity Bank was the Edwards Bros. MIercantile Store. Will and Frank Edwards ran it ogether; later Will had other partners such as Paulson and Atherton. Atherton later bought out Will. Frank moved into the Edwards house on Front Street and started the filling station on the NW. corner. The Winklers next owned the store with an IGA Grocery. It also continued as the post office. The building was then used as an auto body repair shop until the State Bank of Union Grove, now Community State Bank, purchased the property in 1982. It was renovated into a turn of the century yet state-of-the-art banking facility. The exterior was kept to fit in with the character of the Village of Rochester. Antique furniture used throughout the bank keeps the 1900's motif. A cast iron check writing table dating back to the 1800's came from another old bank and an 1880 Seth Thomas master cylinder wall clock adds to the atmosphere. Kitty-corner from the bank was Breckenfeld's Service Station. Pete Breckenfeld organized the Rochester Fire Company and was the first fire chief. The station was the first firehouse. Eileen Albright __A4OMMAINITY STATE BANK 39
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code). Original material owned by Waterford Public Library. For information on re-use, contact the Library through the Reference Department, Waterford Public Library, 101 N. River Street, Waterford, Wisconsin 53185, 262-534-3988, (email@example.com).