University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Stratford centennial
(1891-1991)

Stratford schools,   pp. 92-100


Page 92

Stratford Schools
A
First Stratford Grade School. Courtesy Terry Frank
The committee thanks Mr. Dale Dooge for his work
researching and writing the school history.
Stratford
Public Schools
By Dale Dooge
Stratford's first public school was erected before 1900,
about where the addition to the school buildings was built in
1954. The school was used until 1907, when the present high
school building was builL Originally the building had only
one floor, but increased enrollment made it necessary to add
the second floor for the upper grades including the 9th grade.
But the enrollment grew and the four years of high school
were desired. The old frame building was moved away and
the new red brick school was built. This sufficed for the
grades and the high school until 1936, when an addition, a
gymnasium and four high school class rooms were added on
the north. Then, in 1953, a four room addition on the west to
house the grades was completed.
Education of the district students, after the completion of
the elementary and high school building in 1907, was done by
three or four elementary teachers and a high school staff of
two or three teachers and the principal who also taught some
of the course work. The basic courses of English, history,
science and mathematics were the curriculum offerings with
the commercial courses of typing, bookkeeping and short-
hand also available beginning in 1918.
Excerpt from The History of Marathon County -
1913
On the second floor is the union high school of
which M. Mortenson is principal and Miss Leta Stow-
ell was assistant.
The high school has a reference library of 300
volumes, a traveling library consisting of both English
and German books. The high school has a well
equipped laboratory for the study of physics. At one
end of the assembly room a stage is arranged so that the
room is used for entertainment. The high school
principal, Mr. Mortenson, has been in his present
position for three years.
The high school had an enrollment of twenty-three stu-
dents in 1911 and one graduating senior. The number of
students attending high school had doubled to forty-six by
1917 with seven seniors graduating. All the students entering
high school as freshmen four years earlier completed their
high school education either at Stratford or another school in
1917.
The basic curriculum offerings continued until 1930
when the high school staff increased to four with an instructor
for the German course. There were 65 students enrolled in the
high school in 1935 as more tuition students from the rural
STATE  RoAD[D SCHOOL, STRATFORD W18.


Go up to Top of Page