University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wisconsin. State Conservation Committee (1915-27) / Biennial report of the State Conservation Commission of Wisconsin for the years 1915 and 1916
(1916)

State parks,   pp. 86-89 PDF (885.0 KB)


Page 86


86     WISCONSIN CONSERVATION COMMISSION
VALUE OF IMPROVEMENTS AND BUILDINGS ON THE STATE FOREST
                              RESERVES.
37  Buildings...................................................................................................
28,690.00
4 Steel Lookout Towers ...............................................................
 547.00
86 Miles Telephone Lines ...............................................................
 3,151.00
Trout Lake Nursery. (Land improvements, water system with power
    engine, fencing, nursery frames, etc.) ......................................................
4,700.00
Tomahawk Lake Nursery. (Land improvements, water system with
    power engine. fencing, nursery frames. etc.) ..........................................
2,600.00
Nursery Stock (Trout Lake)............................................................................
9,385.00
Nursery Stock (Tomahawk Lake) .................................................
 1,983.00
Implements, tools. wagons. boats, speeders, furnishings for head-
    quarters building, men's cabins, camp equipment for field work .... 4,100.00
        Total                       .$55,156.00
  During the fiscal year ending June 1, 1916, the forest rangers have
carried on the general lines of improvement work of keeping open the
fire lanes, repair of old roads, trails and telephone lines; the protection
of the fish and game within their respective districts, thereby cooperating
with the conservation wardens, which not only prevents duplication of
work, but also makes for efficiency in both branches of the service.
  The organization of the forest fire protective force is given in the ap-
pendix to the report and sets forth in detail the duties of the rangers in
fire
protection.
                           STATE PARKS.
  The first State Park in Wisconsin was established by the legislature of
1878. All state land owned by the state in twenty-three townships in
Iron and Vilas counties, some 50,000 acres, was set aside with the express
provision that "no authority should be given to anyone to cut down or
destroy any timber on such lands." For nineteen years this land was
held
intact. In 1897 the legislature placed the land on the market, and about
32,000 acres were sold. It is of interest to note that most of this same
land, which was sold for approximately $8.00 per acre, was later repur-
chased by the state for a forest reserve at about one-third of the original
price, but with the timber cut. In 1895 a law was passed authorizing the
Governor to arrange to acquire 250 acres in what is now known as the
Interstate Park, and he was authorized to appoint three Commissioners
to examine the land and determine the values. In 1899 the legislature
appropriated $6500.00 for the purchase of the lands, and the remainder
from the purchase to be available for the general purpose and care of the
park.
  The first actual purchase of land for park purposes did not take place
until 1901. The state has spent $291,571.23 for the purchase of lands for
state parks, as may be seen from the following tabulated statement:


Go up to Top of Page