University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Pioneer days of Evansville and vicinity
(1915)

Chapter VI: early days in Cooksville,   pp. 25-29


Page 25

the porch   washing. This looked  She replied: "He is out in the field
strange, but one got out and went to  plowing." He walked back to the
the house and said: "Good morning,"  buggy and they continued their
way and asked where her husband was. to Stoughton. 
CHAPTER VI 
Early Days in Cooksville 
In 1842 the land on the west side of Main street of the village was entered
from the government by John Cook, one of its early settlers, who gave it
the name of Cooksville. The east side of Main street was entered by Daniel
Webster, a senator from Massachusetts. Among its first settlers were John
Cook and his brother Daniel, Allen Hoxie, Charles Howard, John Fisher, Marian
Wells, Natharn Porter, J. P. Van  Vleck, Thomas Morgan, Earl Woodbury, G.
E. Newman, John Shepard and John Chambers. In 1842 Cook built a sawmill and
sold it in 1844 to John Shepard, who began the erection of a gristmill, which
was completed in 1847. The first store was opened in 1845 by John Chambers.
Daniel Johnson, Harrison Stevens, Isaac Andrews, George Savage, Edward and
James Gilley, Joseph Porter and Alex Richardson were some of the early settlers
to take up farms in the immediate vicinity, all of whom 
honest, sturdy, hard working eers. With such men as these Nilderness soon
gave way. What essing if we had such men as in our legislative halls today.
e itinerant Methodist preacher 
* came among the people in ade of other sects, holding servin log schoolhouses
and in the .s of the settlers. They  were 
not graduates from Yale, but good and true men, earnest in their work. Farmers
brought their families  to meeting in lumber wagons drawn by oxen; women
came plainly dressed, many wearing sunbonnets in summer. I don't think too
much praise can be given those noble pioneer women. The preacher generally
remained a few days, holding meetings at different places, and went away
well laden with supplies for his family. Sometimes he was called upon to
perform the marriage ceremony; the groom did not often have ready money and
on one occasion he  tendered  the preacher a few bundles of home-made oak
shingles, which were readily accepted. A neighbor who had made a claim, built
a cabin, made a few improvements and was waiting until he could get the money
to   buy  the land, got word that parties were going  to buy  the land out
from under him.  He started for Janesville on foot, called on Mr. Lawrence
and  told  him   of  the  circumstances.  Mr.   Lawrence   kindly loaned
 him  $100  for one   year at the rate of fifty per cent interest. The man
walked to Milwaukee and entered the land. 
Cooksville at one time was a thriving little village, doing quite a business.
They felt confident of a railroad; it was surveyed and a  little 
-25-- 


Go up to Top of Page