Historical / architectural resources survey, Village of Thiensville, Ozaukee County
Chapter 13: medical history, pp. 59-61
Historical and Architectural Resources Survey Village of Thiensville Page 59 CHAPTER 13 Medical History While inns, general stores and blacksmith shops were the first businesses established in a new settlement, medical service, even if rudimentary, usually followed within a brief period of time. Thiensville was no exception. The first doctor reported to have practiced in the fledgling community was Ferdinand Rosenthal, who practiced in Thiensville from 1855 until at least 1879. The village's next known doctor was Dr. A. Henry Albers, who was in practice by no later than 1892 and continued until at least 1915. His home-office, which was later known as Stemmler's White Coach Inn, was located at 213 S. Main Street; however, it was razed in 1997. Several other physicians operated in Thiensville for periods of time during the early twentieth century. These include Dr. A. W. Ladwig (1901), Dr. A.H.C. Carthaus (1914-1961) and Dr. G.F. Kenney (circa 1909-1915), the latter of whom sold his practice to a Dr. R.C. Pheil from Antigo and went back to school to become a specialist. Dr. Kenney and his wife lived for a time in the Maas-Bublitz Residence at 116-122 S. Main Street (Photo Code 75/11) and he also had an office there. They then briefly resided at the former Peter Kroehnke Residence at 106-108 Green Bay Road (Photo Codes 75/4, 75/5), while Dr. Pheil reportedly moved into a new home built by the Thiensville Realty Company in 1915 (location unknown). Dr. Carthaus lived at 101 Ellenbecker Road (Photo Code 82/2) and he operated his office out of the home; however, he later had an office in the Thiensville State Bank at 118 Green Bay Road (Photo Code 75/8) and was associated with Dr. Marshall B. Kaller. In addition to his medical duties, Dr. Carthaus also served as a director of the Thiensville State Bank since 1916 and held the position of vice president of the institution for six years until becoming the president in 1944. He was also elected village president in 1935. An undated announcement notes the opening of the office of Dr. E.P. Weber, physician and surgeon; however, the location is unknown. After World War II, physician's practicing in Thiensville were Dr. Herbert Scholz and Dr. T.D. Elbe, the latter of whom constructed his medical office at 143 Green Bay Road (Photo Code 84/6) in 1948. Elbe retired in 1985. Between 1963 and 1964, the Ozaukee Medical Center was constructed at 407 N. Main Street (Photo Code 82/24). No less than four physicians worked out of the structure and include Drs. Herman Murray, Alvin Kurzon, Edward Levy and Morris Meister.96 Other medical services in Thiensville included those offered by pharmacists and dentists. In 1915, 96Mohr, ed., History of Thiensville, 4, 75; John Sitkiewitz, "History of Thiensville;" Wisconsin State Gazetteer and Business Directory [1901-1902], 1060; [1909-1910], 1237; [1915-1916], 1092; [1927-1928], 982; Thiensville Telephone Directory (N.p.: Wisconsin Telephone Company, 1952), 49, In possession of Diane Robertson, Thiensville, WI; Newsbriefs, CedarburgNews, (re: Kenney to Pheil and back to school) 7 April 1915; (re: Pheil's residence) 14 April 1915; (re: Dr. Pheil) 5 May 1915; and (re: Kenney moved to Milwaukee) 29 September 1915; Various announcements, re: Dr. Kaller and Dr. A.H.C. Carthaus (undated), Dr. D.M. Goodsett (20 October 1923), Dr. E.P. Weber (undated), Found in the Thiensyille Memorabilia Book, n.p.; Thiensville Telephone Book (1966, 1970); Mrs. Gertrude Giesfeldt offered that she remembered that Dr. Kenney had an office in the former Maas-Bublitz Residence at 116-122 S. Main Street, Giesfeldt, Conversation with Schnell.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright