Historical / architectural resources survey, Village of Thiensville, Ozaukee County
Chapter 5: government & politics, pp. 18-20
Historical and Architectural Resources Survey Village of Thiensville Page 18 CHAPTER 5 Government & Politics The historic evolution of Thiensville has been directly impacted by two governmental entities: the post office and the village itself. Postal service existed in the Thiensville area as early as 1840 when John Weston operated a post office out of his cabin. It was named Mequon River, a name it retained into the 1880s before the name was changed to Thiensville. As the Thiensville settlement evolved in the nineteenth century it had a number of postmasters who operated post offices in a variety of places. Generally, the postmaster was a shop owner who conducted postal affairs in a comer of the business. Many of Thiensville's more notable citizens have served in the position. The owner of the community's first general store, William Zimmermann, served as postmaster from 1861 to 1867 and from 1869 to 1878. He operated the post office in his general store located at 146 Green Bay Road (Photo Code 77/20), where it remained until 1893. The post office was then moved into the old Thiensville Fireman's Hall/Mohrhusen's Saloon (circa 1893 until 1901), after which it returned to the Zimmermann general store, which was then owned by Thiermanns. Thereafter the post office occupied the commercial building at 140 S. Main Street (Photo Code 75/18) during the 191 Os and what was originally known as the John Bublitz & Sons Grocery Store (then known as Mollier's Grocery Store) until 1922 at 121-123 S. Main Street (Photo code 76/13). In 1933, the post office located at 102 N. Main Street caught on fire and the postmaster John M. Albers was killed. The facility was then opened at 161 Green Bay Road (Photo Code 83/23), where it remained until it was moved to the former Hein's billiard hall at 159-163 S. Main Street (Photo Code 76/16) in 1950. The area's increasing population placed a tremendous demand on this facility and, as a result, the U.S. Postal Service constructed a post office building at 170 Green Bay Avenue (Photo Code 77/14) in 1960. In 1975, a new post office was built at 124 W. Freistadt Road.37 Regarding the development of local government, Thiensville was incorporated as a village in 1910. Prior to that time, the settlement operated under the Town of Mequon's jurisdiction, which held many of its meetings at the Van Buren School located at 228 Elm Street (Photo Codes 77/3). The first officers of the village included John F. Gierach, Village President and August Thiermann, Village Clerk. The first village board members consisted of Reinhold Gerlach, Albert Heidel, Andrew Hilger, Frank Seifert, Louis A. Staudy and Leo Wilson. Meetings were held at Holnagel's Hall until the volunteer fire department donated $1,000 and a plot of land at 101 Green Bay Road (Photo Code 75/13) for the construction of a village hall and fire station building in 1913. Completed in 1914, the building was designed by Milwaukee architect Byron S. Scheiderer and cost 37Mohr, ed., History of Thiensville, 2; Newsbrief(re: post office move), Cedarburg News, 26 December 1900 and 9 January 1901; Miller, "Postal History & Memorabilia;" "Welcome Dedication and Open House Thiensville- Mequon Post Office," Brochure dated 9 October 1960 located in Mequon-Thiensville Files, Ozaukee County Historical Society.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright