University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Port Washington 1835 to 1985
([1985])

A community is founded,   pp. 4-21


Page 4

Franklin Street
This view north from Main St. showed
wooden sidewalks and gas lanterns in
place. The Union House on the right is
now the site of the Wilson House. The
Aracade Building is at the left.
The buildings between Washington
Street and Pier Street about 1867 can
be seen today by looking at the se-
cond story of the buildings now in the
block. While the first floors have
changed, the upper stories have re-
mained the same.
By the early 1900s, the city had the
Milwaukee and Northern Electric cars
providing transportation from
Sheboygan to Milwaukee, sidewalks,
electric lights and a busy Franklin St.
This view is to the north from Grand
Avenue.
Appearing as though there
was an endless vista, the view
south from Washington St.
showed the varying architec-
ture of the buildings, which
can still be seen today.
By 1950, the Wisconsin Electric Power Company plant dominated the view south from Main St. The "interurban" tracks were
gone while some of the businesses along the street are still the same, others have changed drastically.
Photos courtesy of Ambrose Mayer


Go up to Top of Page