University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

Village of Little Kohler,   p. 94


Page 94

VILLAGE OF LITTLE KOHLER
This is the section of the Town of Fredonia settled by people from
Saxony and Bavaria in Germany. "-)e village was founded by Martin Koller
and his name and that of Chas. Zettlerwhose halftimber house is being
restored at Hawthorne Hills Parkappear on the first poll lists in 1847-
1851. Martin Koller donated the land for St. Mary's Church, built in 1849
of stone and still a fine landmark. Koller also donated a tract of wooded
land to the church for fuel. His grandson, Harold Koller, states that
Martin came from Baria. The name of the village was originally spelled
K 0 L L E R but the first postmaster seemed unable to distinguish between
the address and the addressee on the letters coming in and sent everybody's
mail to the Koller family. So to correct this confusion, the name and
spelling of the village was changed from Koller to Little K 0 H L E R.


Go up to Top of Page