Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
Village of Fredonia, p. 93
VILLAGE OF FREDONIA This village was born in the year 1872 when t and Northwestern Railroad decided to skip Waubeka route,and so Fredonia Station came into being and village. In 1874 C.F. Cooley and John J. Race of saw and turning mill here. This was run by a 50 1 did a $25,000 business per year. Grain warehouse. lumber yard were established by Durham and Wigda tion, A. Putnam. In 1890 C.H. Witt and Charles E, which eventually became part of the Froedert Bros, present Neuns Lumber Company is an outgrowth of ti mill. The other industries presently in Fredonia 20th century. It is interesting to know, er, was founded by nephews of John Gilson of Port Was) his foundry there in 1850 and it was continued by family for 112 years. Michael and John Gilson wh( foundry were born in Luxembourg and came to this 4 working first for their Uncle John. They were in briefly in West Bend and in Kewaskum before start: 1910. One of their early specialties which they Ozaukee Chief Corn Husker."
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright