University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

Holy Cross - town of Belgium,   pp. 87-87A


Page 87

HOLY CROSS - TOWN OF BELGIUM
"The following is the full list of fifteen families which was the
first contingent of Luxembourgers and Belgians to come over to this
county; Brothers Watry from Sterpenich, Belgium; Brothers Wolf from
Selingan, Luxembourg; J. Weyker from Sterpenich, Belgium; Brothers Pously
from Battincourt, Luxembourg; M. Reding from Herzig, Luxembourg; T.
Feireisen from Sterpenich, Belgium; J. Burton from Turpen, Belgium; P.
Biever from Kleinelter, Luxembourg; G. Dornbach from Guixsch, Belgium;
Peschong from Kuetzig, Luxembourg; J.R. Gosche from Ofen, Luxembourg;
J. Wagner and J. B. Wagner from Strapen, Luxembourg. They settled in the
wilderness later called Holy Cross, Wisconsin."*
It is believed that these people came over together, and J. Weyker's
passport shows that he and his wife and four children sailed on an
American ship, the SyLvanuE Jenkins, with Capt. Eveleigt iL 1845.
According to tradition in the Weyker family, it was J. Weyker who gave
the name to the Town of Belgium.
*Quoted from History and Directory of Ozaukee County, 1899, by
W.B. Krause in German, translated in the History of the Ubbirk-Weyker
Family by Misses Ann and Viola Ubbink.


Go up to Top of Page