Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
Octagonal barns, pp. 70-74
OCTAGONAL BARNS Built almost three quarters of a century ago, strong and at, octagonal barns of Ozaukee County are monuents to one family of From the Milwaukee county line to Port Washington, they follow r highway 14i and the lake shore. Nowhere else are there so many unusual type. Frederick Clausing, ancestor of the Clausings who built the to Wisconsin In 18I6 and settled on land in the wooded area alond At this time there were many families coming into the state from In the beginning, as the settlers cleared their fields of t: up log houses and barns. They sowed their wheat by hand between If they were fortunate, they had oxen for the heavy work. They: and some chickens. Cows were hard to keep because of the amoun, needed. But gradually as more and more acreage was cleared, the, herds. Most commonly the cows were milking shorthorns. Many fw had a following of customers in Milwaukee, taking in butter, eggi vegetables every two weeks. Cheese factories, two of them, were built in the area and tJ creased their herds. Later the factories became creamerigs. As the dairying operations grew, the log barns proved inadei barns, more suited to sheltering a dairy herd and storing feed f( were needed. Hard working, progressive, the Clausings were in the fore wl improvements and inovations. The family had early shown an intei registered stock and were among the charter members of the Gurns association.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright