Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
Old lime kilns, p. 68
OLD LD OII S Going north on the Green Bay Road about a haf mile before you reach Grafton, there are ruins standing straight and tall which look like medieval masonry. These are old kilns. The vast limestone deposits which underlay this entire region were important sources of revenue to the early business interests of Grafton. A man by the name of Timothy Higgins was known as the oldest lime burner in this section because he built a kiln as early as 16. The largest lime kiln was started in 1847 under the name of the Ormsby Lime Co. Frcm 12 to 15 men were employed, and about 25 barrels of lime per day were produced. The Milwaukee Falls Lime Co. was incorporat on September 9, 1890, and operated kilns several blcks south of the presen south limits of the village. In the early days of the quarries and kilns, 17 men worked 60 hours a week, and their pay was $6 per week. A spur line carried the processed lime to the main line of the old Wisconsin Central Railway for shipment to Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis, and Detroit. The ruins bring visions of mules pulling little trucks of I4mestone frem the quarries on tracks to the top of the kilns, which were stoked with cordwood.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright