University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

Pebble house,   pp. 58-59


Page 58

PEBBLE HOUSE
The pebble house now used as a gate house at the Wisconsin Electric
Power Canpauy plant was once a hcme for generations of Port Washingtonians.
Edward Dodge, a blacksmith, and his wife, Elizabeth, spent many weeks
gathering stones used in its ponstruction along the shore of Lake Michigan.
They carried them to the site in baskets and hods. Many hours were spent
sorting the as to size and color. The sooth stones range frm the size
of an egg to a fist, and colors vary from gray and brown to a subdued pink.
The home was originaly  uilt in 1818, the year Wisconsin achieved
statehood, on the south bank of Sauk Creek, about 125 feet north of its
present location. The water washed cobbles and pebbles have a fine eggshell
surface, ma1in them unusually smooth. It has been suggested that they are of
Olacial origin.
The walls for the story and a half house, one of the finest examples
of beach stone construction in Wisconsin, are 20 inches thick, with an
inner structure of rubble stone wall. This was built up several feet or
more before the facing was added. A wooden framework was then built on the
outside of the wall, and a plank was set up horizonta,1y. After the course
of stones was laid, the plank was raised for the next row. Every few feet
it become necessary to allow the wall to dry, as too much pressure frcm
above would cause the round stones to slip gut.
The pattern involves two aWPing courses of black basalt pebbles, then
a single course of granites of pink and gray Oat4 than two courses of buff,
V1* and white flints and qmtizites.


Go up to Top of Page