University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
(1965)

Pier Street - Port Washington,   p. 55


Page 55

PIER      ST    E   T   Pt       j~fiol
The east end of Pier Street at Lake Michigan formerly known as Father
Menaxd Park, was most likely to have been visited by Father Maxquett# in
1674, by Father James Marest, S. J. between 1701 and 1721, and by Father
LeFranc and Father DuJauncy up to 1765.
The east end of Jackson Street at Lake Michigan was the end of the
old Fond du Lac Indian Trail.
The Lake Park area must have been the spot where the Indian Chief
Waubeka had a summer camp with several acres cleared when the first settlers
arrived.
The High School Athletic Field is the site of a fierce battle between
the Sauk and Chippewa Indians before the white settlers came. The Sauks
won and thereby gave their name to Sauk Creek.
The parking lot at 121 East Pier Street is the site of General Wooster
Harrison's house where Lincoln was said to have slept. General Harrison was
the Father of Port Washington.
The foot of Pier Street is probably the landing place of the first six
permanent families in 1843, the town having been deserted since the 1837
financial panic. The story of their arrival by boat and unloading by raft is
in the 1881 History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties.


Go up to Top of Page